Motorcycle camera differences

What makes your ride better? Gear, accessories, gadgets, etc that make your ride more enjoyable.
Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator
Region or State: New England
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 XJ600S; 2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Motorcycle camera differences

Post by Nelsonmd » Mon May 06, 2013 3:02 pm

So after my first wreck, which came right after one of my closest near accidents by some idiot truck driver, I would like to get a helmet mounted camera to document my eventual demise, but I could use some advice/reviews. I am looking at either a gopro Hero3, or a Contour ROAM. I like the package of the contour alot better than the go pro, I think it will sit alot more flush against my helmet, and it is waterproof without a case on it. I haven't really used any of these sports cameras, so I don't really know which are easier then others. If anyone has used both, I'd love to hear your comments about the differences. Anyway, I'd love to hear what the main features are that you guys love or hate on each one.

Some of the things that stand out to me are:
the Contour cameras have a nicer package, more flush mount on a helmet
The Contours are waterproof without the dive case.
The accessories seem to be about the same price, like for additional helmet mounts, bar mounts, etc.
The Contour ROAM is alot cheaper, though I may be comparing different model years.

What other differences do you guys think should influence my choice?
NelsonMD's 92 XJ600 Project Thread

M̶y̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶:̶ I don't love her so much anymore... NelsonMD's 4Runner Build Thread

New (primary) ride: 2002 Suzuki V-Strom 1000

1Oldman
XJ600 Master!
XJ600 Master!
Region or State: West Coast
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha Seca II

Re: Motorcycle camera differences

Post by 1Oldman » Mon May 06, 2013 3:46 pm

One feature that I found extremely attractive when I was looking to do the same thing was that of a remote control which would allow you to start and stop the camera without fumbling around up on top of the helmet.
Better to be over the hill than under it.

SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra

Post by SpeedRacerOnline » Mon May 06, 2013 6:11 pm

Here's a great review, and I think I agree with it completely. When I finally get a camera for the bike and other general stuff, I like the design of the Contour ROAM 2 better; not to mention the price. Later this year, when (if?) I help a friend produce another movie, if we need action shots, the GoPro Hero 3 will produce higher quality with more options/capabilities, but that is a specialty case. To buy one out of my own pocket; the Contour wins my choice.
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator

Post by Nelsonmd » Mon May 06, 2013 6:21 pm

1Oldman wrote:One feature that I found extremely attractive when I was looking to do the same thing was that of a remote control which would allow you to start and stop the camera without fumbling around up on top of the helmet.
That's a good point. The contour has a 1 button operation that is workable with gloves on. I actually just ordered the contour ROAM for $100. I'll let you konw what I think when it comes in.

M̶y̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶:̶ I don't love her so much anymore... NelsonMD's 4Runner Build Thread

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS

Post by arnehulstein » Tue May 07, 2013 6:40 am

Nelsonmd wrote:
1Oldman wrote:One feature that I found extremely attractive when I was looking to do the same thing was that of a remote control which would allow you to start and stop the camera without fumbling around up on top of the helmet.
That's a good point. The contour has a 1 button operation that is workable with gloves on. I actually just ordered the contour ROAM for $100. I'll let you konw what I think when it comes in.
I like the GoPro, but that might be unfair bias through my tech-nerdness. Really interested what you think of the Contour.

Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator

Post by Nelsonmd » Tue May 07, 2013 7:50 am

arnehulstein wrote:
Nelsonmd wrote:
I like the GoPro, but that might be unfair bias through my tech-nerdness. Really interested what you think of the Contour.
Yeah, it seems the go pro is better camera, but I read a number of reviews that praised the fast and easy use of the contours with just one switch and it is on and recording. I think for my purposes that will be better than having extra settings and slightly higher quality. Plus I am a sucker for the waterproof without a case feature.

MisterX
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Alabama
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 Yamaha Seca II

Post by MisterX » Tue May 07, 2013 8:57 am

I've always liked the GoPro cameras and the attachments that came with them. However, I'd really like to see how well the Contour performs. Definitely let us know.
Full Circle wrote:She's a wee bit damp. Nothing that a quick warm up won't take care of.

Bigfeet51
Keeps up on the news!
Keeps up on the news!
Region or State: LONG ISLAND NY
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha Seca II 92

Post by Bigfeet51 » Mon May 18, 2015 12:38 pm

I looked in to purchasing a Countour and read many reviews that stated they are going out of business. Ended up doing some research and found this

Contour taking on GoPro as it fights for second chance
BY TESSA CURRY IN HARDWARE — APRIL 17, 2014 3:34 PM

Contour, the action sports camera company, is out to make a comeback. After struggling to compete against ACTION sports camera company GoPro, the company shut its doors last August.

Utah based Clark Capital Partners bought it out of bankruptcy for an undisclosed sum. Now they plan to compete again.

Back in 2011, Contour had annual sales of $15 million and was named one of the most promising companies in the country by Forbes magazine. But, Contour only managed to have a revenue of $27 million in 2011 where GoPro brought in $250 million that same year, according to Inc.com. GoPro’s revenue doubled to $500 million the next year, and Contour only inched ahead.

By 2013 their entire executive staff had resigned and the company filed bankruptcy. James Clark, a previous investor in Contour, still saw potential in the company.

“James Clark was really passionate about the brand and didn’t want to see the company stop making these great products so he bought the company,” said Contour’s new CEO, Danny Lysenko.

The company was relocated from Seattle to Provo.

Contour spent the last couple of months creating their playbook, Lysenko said. With a new distribution channel and new products underway, the company plans to take their competition head-on.

“Because it’s not a big box you don’t have to put on your head, and it’s sleek, we can go into markets where our competitors can’t,” Lysenko said. “Ultimately we are focused on making the best product in the market and communicating how great our product is.”

The product features an ‘instant on and off’ slide on top of the camera, which customers love, Lysenko said. The lens rotates 270 degrees and also has laser alignment to help you know exactly what you are capturing on video.

The product is available online at contour.com as well as in retailers around the world.

Nelson, was the Contour worth buying?

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS

Post by arnehulstein » Mon May 18, 2015 3:21 pm

Honestly, I wouldn't use the Contour myself. I have used one and the GPS tracking is fun when you combine it with maps. but the overall quality is less than the GoPro and it is harder to really keep waterproof. But that is just my opinion after using it a couple of times. ;)

Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator

Post by Nelsonmd » Mon May 18, 2015 4:46 pm

I actually just bought 2 more contours (the roam2). I have yet to really use my gopro.

I stand by my original comments that for day to day use, the contour is way better then the gopro. As is touted in that article, it is a MUCH sleeker design and mount than the gopro, and much simpler to use, especially with gloves on. And the camera rotation inside the case is just made for helmet and bike mounts... If I were to record a rock climb, or something like that, I'd go for the gopro, but for recording my everyday commute, the contour is great.

I haven't had any issue with the waterproofness either. Not sure the nature of that comment.

And the freaking simplicity of the contour is ridiculous. Plug it in, set the settings, and go; just turn it on. If you need to change the settings on the fly, then yeah, the gopro is better.

The price to specs are fairly similar to gopro, but the low end is much cheaper for the contour. I got my Roam2's for well under $100 each.

Really IMO they are different animals for different purposes. Simplicity and ruggedness=Contour, Image quality and versatility-Gopro.

I was really glad to see the company come back to life. I hope they succeed and give gopro a little competition.