Motorcycle camera differences

Gear, accessories, gadgets, etc that make your ride more enjoyable.
Bigfeet51
Keeps up on the news!
Keeps up on the news!
Region:: LONG ISLAND NY
Motorcycles:: Yamaha Seca II 92
St Lucia

Mon May 18, 2015 5:41 pm

Based on the reviews I may get one. I really don't want to spend much on a camera.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region:: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles:: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon May 18, 2015 9:05 pm

Most of my videos have been made with a Gopro 960. You can buy them on eBay for cheap. $80 or less. It won't give you the full HD but if you're putting it on YouTube, it doesn't much matter. GoPro has really good aftermarket support. You can buy all sorts of mounts, cases, etc. And GoPro still carries batteries and accessories for it too.

The GoPro sensor works well in a variety of lighting situations and the microphone does a nice job of getting engine noise without wind noise. Here are some examples; these are all GoPro 960:

This one was shot mostly with the GoPro mounted on my helmet with a sticky-pad:

-9ZLz-OiSK8

This one, with it mounted to the triple with a RAM mount:

HcUxh7YH_Kw

And this one, with a bunch of different mounts. It also illustrates the camera's ability to capture in a multitude of lighting situations from full sun to dark:

zlX_rqtqRD8

The ability to capture still images is also a nice feature. Here are some taken on time-lapse:

The lower triple is my favorite mounting point. The camera is out of the way and not obtrusive, doesn't vibrate and yet you can still get a pretty good view of things in front of (and behind). Here's the camera mounted on the lower triple.

MrJoel
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Louisville, ky
Motorcycles:: 1994 xj600

Mon May 18, 2015 9:35 pm

Is gopro still the only chin mounted camera option for helmets? That seems a lot less like a super selfie stick approach to recording...
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region:: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles:: Yamaha TT600 / BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Mon May 18, 2015 11:23 pm

Nelsonmd wrote: I haven't had any issue with the waterproofness either. Not sure the nature of that comment.
To be very honest, I just looked at the Roam 2, and that looks nice. I have not used that, just an older version of their camera's. That case was tricky, which is why sometimes it would not be as waterproof as the GoPro . That was one of the reasons my riding instructor at the time ditched it in favor of a GoPro for his daily use.
red450
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: Midwest
Motorcycles:: 93 XJ600

Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:53 am

I have a Contour as well and I love it. I haven't moved it over to my new helmet but I put an adjustable mount on my XJ.
http://7plus8.blogspot.com
self sufficient slackers
MrJoel
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Louisville, ky
Motorcycles:: 1994 xj600

Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:50 pm

Just picked up a Sony AS100...tiny little thing with an amazing lense, audio in, stabilization, and some crazy specs. It was supposedly missing all the accessories but they were there minus the memory card...$120
Vinerman
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: New York
Motorcycles:: '94 XJ600 SECA II, '84 CB 700SC

Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:11 pm

I use an old Drift HD and love it. my next camera will definetly be a drift also. the lens is rotatable so you dont have to worry about how you mount it. The battery life is great, they average about 2 hours for each and they are relaceable on most of them. They also come with remotes to start and stop recording and they have built in screens so you can make sure you are getting the shot you want. the audio could be better but that is ok.
Bigfeet51
Keeps up on the news!
Keeps up on the news!
Region:: LONG ISLAND NY
Motorcycles:: Yamaha Seca II 92
St Lucia

Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:59 am

GoPro new Video Editing Mobile App

http://www.slashgear.com/gopro-to-relea ... -22393907/

Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator
Region:: New England
Motorcycles:: 92 XJ600S; 2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:11 am

Little update on Contour...

So I got work this morning and my rear facing camera was gone!

I touched the mount and the plastic cracked off and fell off.

So thanks Contour, for your crappy mount, that just caused me to flush $100 down the toilet.
NelsonMD's 92 XJ600 Project Thread

M̶y̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶:̶ I don't love her so much anymore... NelsonMD's 4Runner Build Thread

New (primary) ride: 2002 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region:: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles:: Yamaha TT600 / BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:36 am

:( That sucks.

Can you claim it as damages from your insurance? I would at least try... Oh, and complain at Contour through their site and if you still have the receipt, trough the store where you bought it as well. After all, an action cam that just falls off is not delivering on its promise, right? :thumbdown:

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us