Armored Gear

Gear, accessories, gadgets, etc that make your ride more enjoyable.
MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: Tucked in the Corner
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 Yamaha SecaII // 14KTM 200XCW

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:08 pm

I like the Do-It-All jackets. Right now I have a 3 season Fall-Winter-Spring waterproof, windproof CE-Rate, 600D jacket called Jaunt by First Gear.
This jacket absolutely sucks in the Summer. I have a Two season Fall-Spring non-waterproof jacket that is lighter and more stylish, its an Icon jacket. Again this jacket sucks in the summer since it is mostly black.

Now to the point,

I am looking at a late spring-Dog Days of Summer-Early Fall jacket. I have it narrowed down to one and am just waiting on the funds to get it. It's not really expensive because they just came out with an updated model. I am talking about the Olympia Airglide 3 jacket. It slices it dices it truly does do it all and it can be had for the low low price of $159.99... well it doesn't really slice and dice but it is a mesh jacket with a waterproof liner with an American cut so I think it would be the best for me. Here's the one I want the Silver-Pewter with the description.

Olympia Airglide 3 Jacket

Enhanced function and versatility are the key elements offered in our new Airglide 3 jacket. Heat, wind, rain and cold are no match for this cutting edge style. Constructed in authentic Dupont Cordura® with ballistic nylon mesh panels, this jacket offers maximum airflow with superior abrasion resistance. For added safety, the Airglide offers double rows of 3M Scotchlite® piping at the chest, back and sleeves. Equipped with a sporty two stage, wind and waterproof, Thermolite® insulated liner jacket, this style delivers the ultimate in multi season riding comfort.

Features:

Outer shell constructed in 500 denier Dupont Cordura® with ballistic airflow mesh panels
Waterproof, Thermolite® insulated two stage liner jacket
Removable CE approved Motion Flexarmor at elbows and shoulders
Removable CE approved Motion Flexarticulated back protector
Cool mesh airflow lining
Custom Fit detailing at collar, cuffs,elbows and waist
Comfort neoprene framed collar
3M Scotchlite® reflective piping atfront, sides and back
8” connecting zipper for pants
Five storage pockets
"A life you don't live is still lost" Goo Goo Dolls
"Its not about the years of your life its about the life in your years" Abraham Lincon
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian

davered
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: spain
Motorcycles Owned Currently: xj600n

Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:34 am

I allways use armored summer gear in spain and white shoei lid to keep the sun of a bit :thumbsup:
MOzarkRider wrote:I like the Do-It-All jackets. Right now I have a 3 season Fall-Winter-Spring waterproof, windproof CE-Rate, 600D jacket called Jaunt by First Gear.
This jacket absolutely sucks in the Summer. I have a Two season Fall-Spring non-waterproof jacket that is lighter and more stylish, its an Icon jacket. Again this jacket sucks in the summer since it is mostly black.

Now to the point,

I am looking at a late spring-Dog Days of Summer-Early Fall jacket. I have it narrowed down to one and am just waiting on the funds to get it. It's not really expensive because they just came out with an updated model. I am talking about the Olympia Airglide 3 jacket. It slices it dices it truly does do it all and it can be had for the low low price of $159.99... well it doesn't really slice and dice but it is a mesh jacket with a waterproof liner with an American cut so I think it would be the best for me. Here's the one I want the Silver-Pewter with the description.

Olympia Airglide 3 Jacket

Enhanced function and versatility are the key elements offered in our new Airglide 3 jacket. Heat, wind, rain and cold are no match for this cutting edge style. Constructed in authentic Dupont Cordura® with ballistic nylon mesh panels, this jacket offers maximum airflow with superior abrasion resistance. For added safety, the Airglide offers double rows of 3M Scotchlite® piping at the chest, back and sleeves. Equipped with a sporty two stage, wind and waterproof, Thermolite® insulated liner jacket, this style delivers the ultimate in multi season riding comfort.

Features:

Outer shell constructed in 500 denier Dupont Cordura® with ballistic airflow mesh panels
Waterproof, Thermolite® insulated two stage liner jacket
Removable CE approved Motion Flexarmor at elbows and shoulders
Removable CE approved Motion Flexarticulated back protector
Cool mesh airflow lining
Custom Fit detailing at collar, cuffs,elbows and waist
Comfort neoprene framed collar
3M Scotchlite® reflective piping atfront, sides and back
8” connecting zipper for pants
Five storage pockets

xjman
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: Thame nr Oxford UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1990 XJ600F

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:13 am

don't know anything about this subject - however have noticed guys on faster bikes have back armour.

had a car turn in front, went over the bonnet and broke my upper leg - ended up in the road and guess my helmet was the main item that helped things not being worse.

The other time was skidding (I think on diesel) outside a filling station, again my helmet was the main help but I was generally bruised and a leather jacet did some good.

I think these hip and knee inserts are good on textile trousers,

got me thinking I ought to upgrade maybe.

Yep overheating can be an issue, a question of stopping and taking a layer off? something I'm afraid that I just ignore, maybe undo a couple of' buttons' :oops: ...
Bender: I support and oppose many things, but not strongly enough to pick up a pen.

davered
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:19 am

Bender wrote:don't know anything about this subject - however have noticed guys on faster bikes have back armour.

had a car turn in front, went over the bonnet and broke my upper leg - ended up in the road and guess my helmet was the main item that helped things not being worse.

The other time was skidding (I think on diesel) outside a filling station, again my helmet was the main help but I was generally bruised and a leather jacet did some good.

I think these hip and knee inserts are good on textile trousers,

got me thinking I ought to upgrade maybe.

Yep overheating can be an issue, a question of stopping and taking a layer off? something I'm afraid that I just ignore, maybe undo a couple of' buttons' :oops: ...
Bender I think we all open a fewbuttons mate :ponder:

xjman
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: Thame nr Oxford UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1990 XJ600F

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:26 am

haha :) - miss the UK much?
Bender: I support and oppose many things, but not strongly enough to pick up a pen.

davered
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:37 am

Bender wrote:haha :) - miss the UK much?
No mate 100% lol to cold . Miss the isle of man tt alot bender
:notamused:

MisterX
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Alabama
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 Yamaha Seca II

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:14 am

I agree with most of the folks here. Wearing leathers (or even mesh/textile) with proper armor is the way to go. I wear my leather/armored Frank Thomas jacket year round. Oh yeah, there are times when it's scorching when I'm wearing it, but I would rather be too hot as opposed to being busted up without it.
Full Circle wrote:She's a wee bit damp. Nothing that a quick warm up won't take care of.

Rufjvm69
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Wa state
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 XJ 600 SECAII

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:17 am

I have a mesh jacket which is armored in the elbows/forearms, shoulders, and back. It's very cool to wear even in our 100+ degree days. It has a quilted liner I have worn even down to 35-40 degrees and been comfortable. It is made by EXL and has CE certified armor.

MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: Tucked in the Corner
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 Yamaha SecaII // 14KTM 200XCW

Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:32 am

Rufjvm69 wrote:I have a mesh jacket which is armored in the elbows/forearms, shoulders, and back. It's very cool to wear even in our 100+ degree days. It has a quilted liner I have worn even down to 35-40 degrees and been comfortable. It is made by EXL and has CE certified armor.
What Jacket is it? Picture?
"A life you don't live is still lost" Goo Goo Dolls
"Its not about the years of your life its about the life in your years" Abraham Lincon
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian

davered
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:25 am

Rufjvm69 wrote:I have a mesh jacket which is armored in the elbows/forearms, shoulders, and back. It's very cool to wear even in our 100+ degree days. It has a quilted liner I have worn even down to 35-40 degrees and been comfortable. It is made by EXL and has CE certified armor.
Ya my 13 year old has one of them . Great for the summer.and makes me feel that she's. Safe'er