Casper's take on the Scorpion EXO 700

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Almost as Awesome as Murdock

I recently picked up an Scorpion EXO 700 in size XXL from Sport Bike Track Gear. Ordered on Saturday, shipped on monday, on my doorstep early afternoon Thursday. Great guys and great price at $79.

I got the Scorpion Red graphic and it looks very nice and feels very nice on the head.

I have been riding with a Scorpion EXO 1000 in size XXL for the past three years and its starting to get a little loose on my head without adjusting the cheek pads.

As I only have the two helmets to compare with each other, I cannot give a full review, but will give my opinions of both on here.

The shells and padding are very similar in size and shape with the EXO 700 having a touch closer chin guard where the EXO 1000 has its pump for its adjustable cheek pads. The EXO 100 has a slighly softer feeling liner, but that could just be how it has worn in. The visibility through both is the same.

The EXO 1000 helmet comes stock with an extra piece of cloth beneath the chin to keep air from entering the helmet through that opening and I really like it. I order the aero skirt (?) with the helmet and really like it as well. Works as advertised to keep the air from flowing into the helmet from below. I installed it right away, so I haven't tried the helmet without it yet.

The EXO 1000 face shields have two lifting points on the bottom where the EXO 700 only has 1 on the left side. Don't know why they wouldn't have two and keep them symmetrical, but I guess it shaves a little bit of weight. I have gotten used to the amount of adjustability of the EXO 1000, including its handy switch on the left side to prop open the visor, do nothing, or lock the visor down. The EXO 700 shields do not have this feature. The EXO 1000 shield mechanism has more heights to click the visor into when you don't want it fully open or fully closed than the EXO 700; and the EXO 1000 face shields are thicker overall and weigh a bit more than the EXO 700 shields. Again, my assumption is to keep the weight down a bit more. The quick change shield mechanism is a bit easier to use on the EXO 700.

The airflow patterns are very similar, but the EXO 700 lends better to a tuck than the EXO 1000. There are more, larger vents in the EXO 1000 helmets and how the vents are designed look better in my opinion. (Instead of opening a cover to a hole, you are opening a scoop.) They both are decent at air noise below 60 MPH. The EXO 1000 is able to go to 75 before the wind noise kicks in enough to bother me on longer rides, where as the EXO 700 started bothering at around 65 MPH. (I can understand why some riders need ear plugs.)

I will take some pictures of both as a comparison soon and edit this post with them. I am going to try out this new helmet for a week or so and decide on it then.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login