Top box and rack?

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
DivvyJoe
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Hi All

Well I purchased a rack and box off fleaBay for a reasonable price, the benefit being it all came as one and came off an XJ900, so it should fit.

However, it arrived today and the box has been attached straight to the rack with cable ties and sealant adhesive, with no plate! And it's not even big enough for my helmet, not as advertised! :evil:

So... now I have 3 options:

1. Put the whole thing on the bike knowing I'll never be able to take the box off but knowing my Jodie will have something to lean on
2. I can send it back with a constructively written note politely asking for a refund (chances of getting a quick refund are probably slim)
3. I can remove the box and find another one that will fit together with a proper plate, so I can remove the box when not needed

:?:

The rack is a Renntec sports rack and I have done a bit of research with mixed results - some say Renntec racks won't hold boxes, some say they have successfully attached a 32litre box and never had any issues.

Do any of you wonderfully US types have any suggestions? Is there a rack and box you advise to buy instead? Will a Renntec 32litre 'tail pack' box fit, with it's universal fitting plate?

I would like to be able to have a box I can fit a helmet in...

Many thanks as always, DJ