Trouble finding gear.

Gear, accessories, gadgets, etc that make your ride more enjoyable.
yooper
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region:: Michigans Upper Pennisula
Motorcycles:: 1992 Yamaha Seca II,

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:55 pm

After years of being out of Motorcycling I have, lets say gained some weight. I have found a Joe rocket Jacket and a S&S Amoured Hoodie, but I am Having trouble finding protection for my knees, hips and such. Does anyone know who carries riding pants for very large people with a waist measurement of 54 inches. Is there a way to wear knee pads and hip pads under your regular pants? I will be riding the bike to work at 0400 every morning and the thought of hitting a deer concerns me alittle.
"It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive" Robert L. Stevenson
MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region:: Tucked in the Corner
Motorcycles:: 92 Yamaha SecaII // 14KTM 200XCW

Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:33 pm

It seems like the Adventure riding gear fits pretty well in larger sizes and a variety of other different dimensioned people tall short ect.
Brands like First-gear which is what I have and is amazingly comfy, Bilt, Tourmaster, Klim, and Joe Rocket seem to fit all kinds of people rather well.
Brands like Scorpion, Speed and Strength, and Icon seem fitted for smaller sized people and don't have much flexibility for sizing. Of course there are bound to be variations depending on person but this is just my observation. And as for the under - pants armor. It is made and there are a couple sources you might have to look around in motorcycle magazines and online but they are out there.
This is one site I found in a quick google search:
http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/catalog ... QAodBiiWxw
"A life you don't live is still lost" Goo Goo Dolls
"Its not about the years of your life its about the life in your years" Abraham Lincon
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian
Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region:: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles:: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:31 pm

I do not wear hip pads under my jeans, but I do have a set of knee pads (I bought them when they still had the small and large sizes) by Alpinestars and they have saved my knees. I know I would have had my knee cap grinded into had I not worn them on one of my falls. They also work great if you have work where you have to kneel or are very tall and run into small things (chairs and boxes) at work. They are comfortable once you get used to having them on and don't get that hot.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.
secamike
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: California
Motorcycles:: 1998 Yamaha Seca II

Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:58 pm

Knee pads worn underneath are a really good idea. I crashed and my overpants slid and my knee got a hairline fracture and the muscle just above the near got trashed. Missed my knee pad by less than half and inch. I went with the quadrant from Thor as they were inexpensive and seemed to get good reviews - I'm very happy with them and the straps are actually on the long side (I have to have mine shortened). Never ride without them now.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/ ... uards.aspx

Mike
rmstrttn
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region:: AB, Canada
Motorcycles:: 1993 Yamaha XJ600SE Seca II

Sat May 26, 2012 8:32 am

I bought these:

http://www.bikerleathers.ca/tourmaster- ... r-qst-pnt/

Hip and knee armor included. Steal of a deal I think.

The website says they come in a 4x. I bought a larger pair than I needed so I can wear them over other pants on cold days.
"Often life asks much of you, and you either honour life by answering with all your heart, or you cower your way into your grave."
- Master Orquell (The Godslayer Chronicles)

1993 Yamaha XJ600SE Seca II

Mark
yooper
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region:: Michigans Upper Pennisula
Motorcycles:: 1992 Yamaha Seca II,

Sun May 27, 2012 2:27 pm

Hey thanks, I am picking the bike up this weekend and riding back from MN to MI, but i will probably order a pair of those when I get back. Thanks
"It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive" Robert L. Stevenson

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us