G'day

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
OzzyElsie
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

I'm from Australia and I'm here to help you :D .

Well maybe, I'll do my best to contribute but I'm really here because I've just picked up a complete but very dilapidated 'not going' '92 XJ600 which I'm going to bring back to life (a.k.a. Plan A),

Off Gumtree for $100 and a 2 hour turn around - as close to free as you are likely to get.

The first thing done was to give the poor thing a tubs - it was encrusted. I think its history is that it has been used as a commuter for the last 25 years and has never seen the inside of a garage. Some crud, like chain lube and brake dust on the wheels, will never be cleaned up but generally the finish is testimony of Yamaha's original OEM standards. The worst damage is the rust pitting on the forks although two rust bubbles under the paint work on the tank don't bide well. Front brakes work, the rear doesn't. A quick check of the electrics with a flattish battery shows most working but not enough charge to kick over the motor (I hope that was the case - batt on charge at the mo).
The before and after.

There is white over spray all over the bike. Some determined rubbing with finger, cloth and cutting compound got the desired results - shows promise but lots of work.

I've got other bikes, projects and interests so I don't intend to throw too much time, money or effort at the XJ (also known as Plan A). I was thinking of keeping it fairly OEM but getting a second set of wheels and fitting 50/50 adventure touring tyres and then doing some adventure touring. This appeals to me on two levels, the adventure touring and the shit stir value.

BTW The Ozzyelsie; Ozzy = Australian and Elsie as in LC - I have a restored RD350LC.

Ciao

This topic has 16 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login