New rider / New XJ rider / New member

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
anonymous-j
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

A brief history of how I came to motorcycles, ended up with a Seca II, and had my first couple maintenance adventures:

After taking the MSF course this spring, I impatiently waited for my completion card, so I could get my M endorsement (that's all that's needed in IL), so I could buy a motorcycle. I'm a water-lover but it takes at least an hour from the door to launching (various craft over time), the MSF course was on my bucket list, and it seemed motorcycle-riding would be a fine alternate, and would let me fit a little respite easily into a weekday evening.

So far, I've been right. Hurrah.

Thanks to a couple friends' suggestions and probably more Internet research than I'd care to admit, the Seca II made it to my short list based on weight, size (thanks, cycle-ergo!), power, and probability of a reasonable price. I was fortunate to find one in really nice condition a mere mile from the house. The test ride made me happy. Shortly thereafter, she was mine.

A few days later, I came out to find a wee puddle of oil sitting under her. Turned out the third screw in the neutral switch had fallen out during the previous evening's ride, and the oil came from behind the switch. All three were sitting in a mix of grease and road dirt inside the case, and the nylon spacer had gotten melty and deformed. Found the dimensions here - thanks! (Anybody have details on the center stand? Ebay's offerings are slim at best, and with help I could probably make one.)

So, here I am. So far, so good. Slowly expanding my riding comfort zone and quite enjoying myself too. This is from our first long-ish trip a couple weeks ago, around 60mi total, and my avatar is from the same day.
moto beach.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login