First XJ600 project

Tell us about yourself, what you ride, and share your favorite picture.
XJLiverpool
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Northwest, Liverpool, UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Yamaha XJ600S (seca II)

Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:59 pm

Welcome to the forum Alex, I whole-heartadly chuckled at the MacGyver moment in your story as it would be something I would do, "Am I hell calling the insurance to pick me up, I'd rather walk/fix it myself"

I look forward to seeing many more posts and photos:)

alexxj600
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Scotland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha XJ600N 1999
Germany

Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:14 am

Hi XJLiverpool,

Yes, I was amazed at my own resourcefulness :lol:

But after one last attempt at filling tonight, I will be finishing the paintjob tomorrow! Got plenty of little jobs to do in between coats as well, such as fuel taps that need stripped and repaired, the footpegs which I bought months ago, but not actually fitted yet, my Scottoiler which has run completely dry and I need to fill and prime again, and of course washing the whole bike, with the tank off to begin with, as I started sanding when the tank was still on and I now have pink dust everywhere... so that's a full day tomorrow!

alexxj600
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Germany

Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:22 am

So, after another week of working on it, I'm now pretty much there. I've primed and sanded and filled, and primed and sanded and filled about 5 times, basically until I ran out of primer, at which point I said "good enough" and went onto basecoat. I had 2 Aerosol cans of it, but only ended up using one.
IMG_20170902_145749 2.jpg
Once that was all set (and slightly sanded with 800 grit paper, just to give it a smoother finish) I went onto the red paint
IMG_20170902_162338 2.jpg
IMG_20170902_170205 2.jpg
As you can see it was far too bright at this point, and I made the mistake of trying to sand it again. But the scratches were quite visible and the lacquer, while tinted, is still mostly seethrough, but then I remembered that I bought 2 cans of everything, and once again had only needed 1 so far. So I gave it another coat of red and moved on to the lacquer.
IMG_20170902_183258 2.jpg
I used the whole bottle and then the plan was to sand it with 2000 grid paper and then buff it. but after I tried that (unsuccessfully obviously) I decided to give it a few more coats of it and see how well the finish turns out then. It was a lot better, and I don't think it needs a sand anymore to get the orange peel out, but I do still want to buff it using a proper handheld buffing machine. So at the moment it looks ok, and once the rain stops I will try to get some nice pictures of the tank on the bike, but it will look much better once it's had a decent buff and the logo on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

alexxj600
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Germany

Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:24 am

Oh, forgot to mention. I don't actually own a buffing machine, but will rectify that now. If anyone has recommendations for ones that will take sanding and buffing attachments and are relatively cheap (I'll happily buy a second hand one as well) then please let me know!

jkychan09
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region or State: mississippi
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 02 vulcan 800, 94 xj600
Korea South

Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:55 pm

any new pics that you can upload on progress, i just picked up my first xj project. I am wanting to break it down to the frame and respray.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93