New owner, and relatively new rider

Introduce yourself to the community. Tell us about yourself, what you ride, and share your favorite picture.
JustinC25
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region or State: NH
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 94 Yamaha XJ600S, 11 Suzuki GSXR 750, 71 Honda CL7

New owner, and relatively new rider

Post by JustinC25 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:41 pm

Hi guys,

Just wanted to take a minute and introduce myself.
My name is Justin, and I live in NH in the USA.
I've been officially riding for about 2 months.
Though unofficially I got my first bike when I was 12.
A 1971 Honda CL70 in Orange and silver.
I use to ride it on the trails behind my house, and still own that bike. I also own a 2011 Suzuki GSXR 750, and
Just purchased a 1994 Yamaha Seca II XJ600S for my girlfriend as her first bike. (Don't worry, she picked it out)
It's a cool bike, and I'm so glad that there is such a great community of riders and owners here.
The bike has 22k miles, and was purchased for$900.00
The previous owner said he bought it after taking the MSF class. He got his license then took it on the street and dropped it.
He got scared, parked it in the garage, and it sat there for 5 years. It wasn't running, but he cleaned the carbs and changed the battery. Now it runs, but I'm having a rideability problem.
When first setting off from a stop, it has a hesitation.
Also when riding it feels almost like there's a small vibration, or really more like a misfire. Like sort of jerky.
I changed the oil and filter, replaced the fuel filter, checked the air filter and plugs. Also did a compression test, and cylinder balance test. I read a couple of the posts here that I found off of Google.
Then had my dad help me with a few things on the bike.
(he's a Toyota mechanic, and has been working on his bikes for years)
We decided to try doing the tests above.
There cylinder balance test found that cylinder 4 was dead.
Compression test revealed 60 psi in cylinders 1&4.
Not sure what the spec is on this bike. But cylinder 1 was working fine during the balance test.
And matched#4 in the compression. Plugs looked good too. So we played with the pilot mixture screws.
They were about 1.75 turns. After adjusting to about 4-4.5 turns out the idle is very nice and it revs up very nicely with no stumble. But on wide open throttle it dies out. Next we tried checking the float heights and found them all between 6-8mm. Which I believe is in spec from what I've been able to find. We also found the intake boots cracked and replaced them. Dad seems to think we may need to replace the jets next. Like it's not getting enough fuel on the main circuit.
I believe this bike is stock. We've also replaced the fuel filter. What do you guys recomend at this time?
Changing the jets? If so what size 105, or 102.5 for mains and #20 for pilots?
Also before we did anything other than the oil change the bikes acceleration was rather anemic until about 7000 rpm then it pulled really good until about 9500 rpm.
Thanks in advance for any advice and help.
This is a really fun bike and I want to get it up and running again so my girl and I can ride together.
She's really excited and has been helping with it.
She took the MSF class last month and has her license now.
Thanks again !

TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha Seca II

Re: New owner, and relatively new rider

Post by TonyKZ1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:38 am

Hello and welcome to the site!
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Sports Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II

Post by radare » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:43 am

Looking at your carb info, are you certain it happens at full (WOT) throttle? That circuit is controlled by the main jet and slides. Some possible culprits could include worn and sticky slides, tears or pinholes in the diaphragms, clogged main circuit (either fuel jet or air jet, worn needles and fuel level.

If you haven't had the carb tops off yet, I'd start there. Inspect the slides and the diapragms for wear. If those are good, look further.

Welcome to the site, BTW.

mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n

Post by mikee112 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:18 pm

Hi Justin, Welcome to XJR :)

JustinC25
New to XJR
New to XJR

Post by JustinC25 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:40 am

radare wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:43 am
Looking at your carb info, are you certain it happens at full (WOT) throttle? That circuit is controlled by the main jet and slides. Some possible culprits could include worn and sticky slides, tears or pinholes in the diaphragms, clogged main circuit (either fuel jet or air jet, worn needles and fuel level.

If you haven't had the carb tops off yet, I'd start there. Inspect the slides and the diapragms for wear. If those are good, look further.

Welcome to the site, BTW.
Thanks for the warm welcome :)

The Slides and diaphragms look good and move freely.
I'm thinking maybe the previous owner didn't fully clean the jets.
Gonna pull them tonight after work and give them a good cleaning. Also anywhere else I can clean while I'm there.
My GF just bought the #20 pilot jets today. So I'll install them while I'm in there. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Hopefully this fixes it. Also going to pick up a ir thermometer for setting the mixture and try to find a synchronizer for the final tuning step.

JustinC25
New to XJR
New to XJR

Post by JustinC25 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:58 pm

I'm happy to report SUCCESS !!!!!!!
Cleaning the passages and the main jets, plus replacing the pilot jets with #20's was successful after a quick tune.
The pilot screws are now about 3 turns out and the off idle stumble is gone. Now I just need to get a IR thermometer for the final tune.
The power is much more linear, as opposed to flat until 7k.
It still has a little surge from 7k to redline, but not nearly as dramatic as before.
Thanks SO MUCH for the help !
On a side note though, I'll need to be doing some paint work next.
When I took the tank off the bike, the petcock started to leak, even though it was in the on position. (Tried all positions) So I think I'll need to rebuild it. So I had the briliant Idea to put the tank sort of on its side on a towel on the garage floor. I did this to try not to lose the gas in the tank
But it leaked out through the filler hole, and ate a good amount of the paint off the tank. It's now bare metal on almost a 1/4 of the tank. :(
I'm going to sand and prime the tank this weekend. Hoping to find a close match for paint. However my GF would like to paint the whole tank silver.
It is currently that Smurf blue. Any suggestions on a dupicolor that may be close? I checked the listing on the page but I didn't see any duplicolor listed for this color.
Thanks Again guys !

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II

Post by radare » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:37 am

JustinC25 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:58 pm
So I had the briliant Idea to put the tank sort of on its side on a towel on the garage floor. I did this to try not to lose the gas in the tank
But it leaked out through the filler hole, and ate a good amount of the paint off the tank. It's now bare metal on almost a 1/4 of the tank. :(
I'm going to sand and prime the tank this weekend. Hoping to find a close match for paint. However my GF would like to paint the whole tank silver.
It is currently that Smurf blue. Any suggestions on a dupicolor that may be close? I checked the listing on the page but I didn't see any duplicolor listed for this color.
Thanks Again guys !
I admit that many of us have done that, myself included. If you have access to a good respirator, you should look into Spraymax 2k clearcoat. It is in a spray can but is a 2k clear. I use it over Duplicolor to get a gas-proof paint job with a brilliant shine. Runs about $20 a can. They also make a 2k high-build primer which is perfect for a base coat.

Here's the tank paint work I did most recently on my scrambler, showing filler, prime, color and paint, if you're interested in a quick read.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6900&start=180#p72644