Hello - New Rider - New to me Bike

Tell us about yourself, what you ride, and share your favorite picture.
powerismine
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region or State: Western NY - Think Buffalo
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600 Seca II

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Thanks all. I removed the line from the petcock to the pump and got lots of gas. Removed the line from the pump to the carbs and turned it over and got very little gas, just a trickle. That said I assume either the pump isn't getting a good vacuum or it's bad. This sound right to you guys? If so is there a better pump I can get? What about switching over to electric pump?
What doesn't kill us makes us stronger

powerismine
New to XJR
New to XJR

Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:56 pm

Well I am a noob that is for sure lol. :oops: :oops: :oops: :prob: So I ordered that fuel pump and drained the tank but now I noticed that I am only getting gas out of the tank when it is set to prime. I am getting next to nothing when it is turned to "on" and "reserve". Not sure how I missed that the first time around but I guess that's how it goes. So now I have the new fuel pump installed after draining the tank and noticing that I was only getting gas out of the tank when it was set to "prime". This said should I order a new petcock or just a rebuild kit? I was also thinking about ordering new clear fuel lines for the bike so I can make sure gas is flowing as it should if someone can link me to some that would be awesome, I am a prime member.

I do get the vacuum pulse off of the line going to the fuel pump so I don't think that is the issue but I do think is the petcock. I am planning on removing it and seeing if I can see anything wrong but I am not 100% sure what I should be looking for. I am going to dig around these forums and see what I can find but if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Anyone have a PDF of the repair/service manual for these bikes by chance?

Thanks everyone, I am hoping to figure this thing out this week since my clutch decided to crap out on my 06 4.0 Ranger on Friday when I left work so now I have to drive my Ambulance Camper and that is no fun lol

Thanks again everyone!

powerismine
New to XJR
New to XJR

Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:37 pm

Okay not sure here now. I just double checked that the pump is working when it is set to "on" and I am getting a stream of gas and I do think it is enough to let the bike run. I did some more reading and found that when the petcock is set to "on" and "reserve" it needs the pump to work and when it is set to "PRI" that is supposed to be used to fill the fuel system prior to starting\

With the petcock set to "ON" I am getting a stead stream out of the pump. I am thinking now that the carbs are going to need to be serviced, cleaned and/or rebuilt. When I bought the bike the guy I got it from was able to show it running while using starting fluid and I am 90% sure the new pump is working as it should so that leads me to think that either the carbs are gummed up or a jet is clogged or something along those lines.

I am going to drain the tank, check it for crap, remove the petcock and check the screens. I will remote the tank, check the air filters, clean the carbs, rejet to #20 as suggested and rebuild them. I think that is what is the best bet for my next move. Anyone have any better ideas I'm all ears.

Thanks all
Rich-powerismine

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:52 pm

Sorry I'm so late to the game. The petcock shuts off if vacuum isn't applied. That is, in on or reserve, but with the bike off, no fuel should flow. In prime, this feature is bypassed and fuel flows.

The fuel pump has a check valve that keeps fuel flowing in one direction. Without the bike running and providing a source of vacuum, I wouldn't expect much fuel to come out of the hose between the pump and carbs. That won't likely confirm a failed pump.

If your petcock is flowing fuel in on or reserve without the engine running, its failed and you should replace it.

If your bike runs on starting fluid only, that tells me the carbs are varnished up with stale fuel. Fuel sludges up inside the bowl and clogs the enrichment and pilot jets.

Verify your petcock works as designed (no fuel flowing in on/reserve when the bike is off) and flowing in prime.

Then pull your float bowls and check their condition. You can diagnose clogged jets without removing the carb assembly. if you find they are clogged Iup, then the next step would be a carb cleaning.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:54 pm

Oh, and if you go through the trouble of removing the carbs, buy a new set of carb boots and replace them when you put the bike back together. It'll pay dividends in the way it runs.

powerismine
New to XJR
New to XJR

Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:50 pm

I messed with this more today and found I am getting no fuel in the carbs, good flow from pump, when I try to blow in the fuel intake I can't. Completely clogged. Ordering new parts for cleaning and rebuild this week and go from there.

powerismine
New to XJR
New to XJR

Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:59 pm

Pulled the carbs apart and found that a "needle valve" was stuck, but the carbs them selves were pretty clean. I assuming that is what it's called, the part that the float uses to stop the fuel flow. I freed up the valve, cleaned and reassembled, put some fuel in the tank, and, and, and my battery died lol. On charger now and hoping for the best. At least I did get it to fire up while the tank was off and I did find an issue. I am glad I opened it up a little and only had 2 hard screws that gave me an issue. I'll know more soon. Thanks everyone for advice. I do plan on buying a full rebuild parts and boots then get it fully repaired for spring. I am thinking this will be my winter project. I am excited to get out and ride but then again not in a rush either plus the paint looks like my 7 year old did it lol. Zoom Zoom!

Posbike
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: MN, USA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Xj600 Seca II & 2016 Yamaha FZ-07

Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:12 pm

Hi Rich!
You can call me Al
93 Xj600 Seca II
16 Yamaha FZ 07
Minnesota, USA