Battery won't charge

Introduce yourself to the community. Tell us about yourself, what you ride, and share your favorite picture.
T-man
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region or State: North-Holland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992, Yamaha XJ600S Diversion

Battery won't charge

Post by T-man » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:29 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Thom and I am currently a Bachelor student in Hospitality management.
I always wanted a motorbike when I rode my 50 CC Gilera GSM moped. Well... When I got the opportunity to obtain my license I got it a.s.a.p. After riding for 4 years now, I never faced major problems. However, now i have an annoying electrical problem....
My battery won't charge and my Multi- meter tells me that (with a running engine and head lights on) that it gets 12,45 Volts, without head lights and a running engine 13,06... I try to check my rectifier but bought a new one anyway. Sadly, I haven't found the problem yet. Ohh I haven't checked the wires that come out of the stator... Furthermore I often read that it could also be as simple as ground wire... Hoe much volt sholud I get from the regulator/rectifier? And how much from the stator/dynamo?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
you have to start somewhere...

Kadettgek
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Nederland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1990 Yamaha xj600

Re: Battery won't charge

Post by Kadettgek » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:04 am

Why did you measure the charging voltage? is your battery running low on power?
Is your bike idling when you measure the voltage? It should be charging at a higher RPM rate. try 3000rpm

There is a loose groundwire in your picture.... try and connect that one up.

T-man
New to XJR
New to XJR

Post by T-man » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:05 am

@kadettgek
I measured the charging voltage since then I could check if my rectifier is working properly. I found out that I had to clean the backside of the rectifier to make it work again having 13.8 V by 4000 rpm. However I didn't had the time to ride the bike, so I had to leave it for 9 days and now I only had 10,4 volts left when I wanted to start it today. Therefore, I measured if electricity was leaking (lekstroom in Dutch) and the reading stated there wasn't any electricity leaking. I think it is rather strange that my battery loses power after 9 days of standing still. Could this mean that the battery is ready to be changed? Or something else?
Thanks in advance!

Scorpyn
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region or State: North West Ireland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600S cafe racer, aprilia SXV450, FLXH Chop

Post by Scorpyn » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:04 am

Your battery is probably due a change if it's losing charge that quickly. If nothing else was wrong before, don't change anything else now, just the battery.
If you can't hear me coming from a mile away, I've run out of gas

T-man
New to XJR
New to XJR

Post by T-man » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:38 am

@Scorpyn. Thanks for the reply! Well the strange thing is that I recharged the battery using an external battery charger and put the battery on my table. Then the battery didn't lose power. However, when I connect the battery to the motorcycle it lost almost 1 Volt per day... So I think my bike draws power from the battery when the bike is off/not used. Do you might know how/why the bike draws power? I don't have an alarm or something that is on....