Hello from cool and wet Northern Ireland

Introduce yourself to the community. Tell us about yourself, what you ride, and share your favorite picture.
raytherip
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region or State: Northern Ireland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha XJS 600 Diverson

Hello from cool and wet Northern Ireland

Post by raytherip » Sat May 13, 2017 12:11 pm

Hi folks

I am new to the xjs ideas so hello, I live in Northern Ireland and would ride around Strangford lough (really pretty when the sun is shining).

I am going to put new clutch friction plates and springs in to my 1996 Yamaha 600 Diverson. I have noticed that it is a bit noisy when ticking over and a wee bit of research says it could be either carbs need balanced, or play in a dowel at the back of the clutch basket. I was wondering if you guys had any thought? It revs cleanly and motors on when I open her up with no hesitation at all. The gears 1st and 2nd seem to be clunky but this seems to be the norm, if the new springs and friction plate don't help I can live with it.

Ireally like the Divi it quick enough for me when I want it to be and it fairly cheap running costs wise... Anyway many thanks for reading.

I am using an iPad and I want to launch it out the window atm, much prefer a laptop (which has sadly died)😒😒

Regards

Raymond
Many thanks regards

Raymond

Crimson
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: London
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600S

Re: Hello from cool and wet Northern Ireland

Post by Crimson » Sat May 13, 2017 12:49 pm

Hello and welcome. I hope you stick around and post.

The clutch basket rattle thing is typical on these bikes. If you check this Youtube video, you'll hear what it sounds like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhTUyYU1RsY

Sounds horrific but from what I understand, it's harmless. In case you're in doubt as to whether it's clutch rattle, this rattle is something you should only hear on idle.

The fix can be found online. It's a doddle, but there might be a difficult bit: having or making the right tools. You need a torque wrench and a 30mm socket, and a sort of rig to hold the clutch basket in place while you undo the clutch boss nut. Then you can undo everything, put a tight-fitting steel dowel (maybe a section of an old screwdriver shank?) in place, and put it back in as it was. Personally, I don't have anything that could hold the clutch basket in situ while undoing the clutch boss nut. So, when I replaced my clutch plates and springs recently, I didn't even dump the oil - I just leaned the bike to its sidestand. This means I can revisit the oil gear dowel at a later date if I want. I can just pop it open again and have a fresh gasket handy.

Here is my account of clutch plates and springs replacement:
https://crimsonxj.wordpress.com/2017/05 ... gs-fitted/

My subjective view is that some clutch noise is gone. The plates were a very snug fit into the basket's teeth. Also, gear change is smoother, and there is no clunkiness between 1st and 2nd. When you do your plates, it would be a good opportunity to at the same time see if you have sufficiently meaty tools to remove the clutch basket to replace the noisy dowel.

mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n

Post by mikee112 » Sat May 13, 2017 12:51 pm

Hi Raymond. Welcome to the forum :)

raytherip
New to XJR
New to XJR

Post by raytherip » Sat May 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Hi guys

Thanks for the info, I haven't figured out how to reply to you personally yet ! But you comments are gratefully received.

Regards

Raymond
Many thanks regards

Raymond

raytherip
New to XJR
New to XJR

Post by raytherip » Sat May 13, 2017 1:18 pm

Crimson wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 12:49 pm
Hello and welcome. I hope you stick around and post.

The clutch basket rattle thing is typical on these bikes. If you check this Youtube video, you'll hear what it sounds like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhTUyYU1RsY

Sounds horrific but from what I understand, it's harmless. In case you're in doubt as to whether it's clutch rattle, this rattle is something you should only hear on idle.

The fix can be found online. It's a doddle, but there might be a difficult bit: having or making the right tools. You need a torque wrench and a 30mm socket, and a sort of rig to hold the clutch basket in place while you undo the clutch boss nut. Then you can undo everything, put a tight-fitting steel dowel (maybe a section of an old screwdriver shank?) in place, and put it back in as it was. Personally, I don't have anything that could hold the clutch basket in situ while undoing the clutch boss nut. So, when I replaced my clutch plates and springs recently, I didn't even dump the oil - I just leaned the bike to its sidestand. This means I can revisit the oil gear dowel at a later date if I want. I can just pop it open again and have a fresh gasket handy.

Here is my account of clutch plates and springs replacement:
https://crimsonxj.wordpress.com/2017/05 ... gs-fitted/

My subjective view is that some clutch noise is gone. The plates were a very snug fit into the basket's teeth. Also, gear change is smoother, and there is no clunkiness between 1st and 2nd. When you do your plates, it would be a good opportunity to at the same time see if you have sufficiently meaty tools to remove the clutch basket to replace the noisy dowel.
Thanks good link and pictures
Many thanks regards

Raymond

raytherip
New to XJR
New to XJR

Post by raytherip » Sat May 13, 2017 1:20 pm

mikee112 wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 12:51 pm

Thank you, seems to be a good place for information
Many thanks regards

Raymond

TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha Seca II

Post by TonyKZ1 » Sat May 13, 2017 6:45 pm

Hello and welcome to the site!
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Sports Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

raytherip
New to XJR
New to XJR

Post by raytherip » Sun May 14, 2017 12:11 pm

TonyKZ1 wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 6:45 pm
Cheers buddy
Many thanks regards

Raymond

raytherip
New to XJR
New to XJR

Post by raytherip » Sun May 14, 2017 12:12 pm

mikee112 wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 12:51 pm

Thank you, I am still trying to find my way around. I was out for a wee run today, weather is class at the moment
Many thanks regards

Raymond

raytherip
New to XJR
New to XJR

Post by raytherip » Sun May 14, 2017 12:14 pm

TonyKZ1 wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 6:45 pm
Hi thank you... It seems to be a good site, I just need to be able to find my way around it :lolno:
Many thanks regards

Raymond