Hello Group!!

Introduce yourself to the community. Tell us about yourself, what you ride, and share your favorite picture.
rstanley73
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: ca
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 yamaha seca 2

Hello Group!!

Post by rstanley73 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:35 am

Hi to everyone. I have a 94 or 95 Yamaha Seca II Blue in Color. Looking for some help for this bike. I just finally got it running last night.. RUNS like a champ too excited about that too. I started the bike up and Idled it for a few min. Then I took her for a ride in my complex and she was leaking OIL I think. I didn't notice it until I stopped it or Stalled it, and it started to puddle under bike. ( I didn't have the air cleaner in it since I was just testing it out.) one spot it was leaking from was definitely the breather hose that should have been in the air box.. would this be common?? I'm having a hard time putting the air box back on the carbs too any idea how to make this connection?

Thanks,
Richard

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Helensburgh, Scotland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 XJ600N

Re: Hello Group!!

Post by Slartibartfast » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:53 am

Hi!

Not sure about the oil-in-the-airbox bit, someone who knows more than me should be able to help there.

As for getting the airbox back on the rubber boots I've warmed them up a little with a hairdryer (much to the delight of my wife) and found that makes it a bit easier
Nelsonmd wrote: My 4runner on the other hand... I decided she needed to be a girl only because I spent so much time underneath/inside her, I didn't want to think of her as a dude...

kk600cc
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Liverpool UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 Yamaha XJ600S Diversion

Post by kk600cc » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:28 am

Hi there, I have had some luck with a spray of furniture polish on the air box rubbers and it slides on to carbs much easier. You can get a lot of oil up into air box if you have blocked breathers or over filled oil level and when you then put on side stand the drain in air box is at lowest level you get oil running out of drain hose if fitted if not then onto top left side engine.

rstanley73
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Post by rstanley73 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:37 am

Thanks!

SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra

Post by SpeedRacerOnline » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:29 pm

Welcome to XJRider! A common way to get the carb boots back on is to heat them up either with a hair dryer or hot water. That helps soften them up so they'll flex better. There were a couple attempts somewhere here on the forums to restore the rubber's flexibility, but you'd have to search for that.

As far as your oil issue, you may just have too much; that's the most common cause of what you're describing. The engine oil capacity is 2.6 qts with a new filter. You want to add oil until the sight window on the right side of the engine is just covered, but the trick is that needs to be done with the bike standing straight up, NOT on the side stand. I learned that the hard way with my first XJ. I filled it up on the side stand, and was worried for weeks that I had some major engine issue because it kept spewing oil out of the air box. Turns out, I was overfilling it because it was sitting on an angle. If you have a center stand, use that when you add oil.
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

rstanley73
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Post by rstanley73 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:26 am

Thanks Speed racer!! I will look it over on Saturday.. I did change the oil myself, but I did it by just adding, so sounds like I need to find a center stand to install on the bike... I filled by measurements on bottle..

mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n

Post by mikee112 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:53 am

Hey Richard, Welcome to the forum :)

TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha Seca II

Post by TonyKZ1 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:43 am

Hello and welcome to the site!
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Sports Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

rstanley73
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Post by rstanley73 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:30 pm

I have NO clue how post a new post in this site...WTH but about to get my second XJ600...pics to come soon