'Sconnie Seca Scientist with an excuse to tinker

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
jwengle
New to XJR
New to XJR

howdy.

I'm a new rider, a new Midwesterner, and a new Seca II owner. I picked up a beater for $800 about 3 weeks ago, and rode it home in the balmy 34 F (1 C to you good people in the land of reasonable units) of our first real spring Wisconsin day. I lived in South Asia for a while when I was young, and used dirt bikes and crotch rockets to get around when I wasn't laying them over in dust and sand, but that's the last experience I've had on two wheels that weren't propelled by my own legs since. Here she is: Image

I'm a scientist by trade, a hunter in the fall and a mountain biker when I can get anywhere near an incline and smooth dirt. I've lived in the American West for the last 20 years, and miss those mountains every day I'm not in them.

There's a fair amount of work to do for this little bike I've acquired, but not so much that it won't be great to ride and to learn on for a season... or for way longer than that. The neutral interlock to the starter is bypassed by a paperclip. It's got wound wire in place of a few cotter pins here and there. All the ferrings are cracked in a spot or two. I replaced the brake fluid after the rear brake went out at a stop sign on my first ride to get my deceleration systems back into shape. Suspension seems like it's in reasonable (very ridable) condition. Tires bueno. I've got a super gappy powerband in every gear between ~ 4000 and about 5500 rpm - all power drops out as I try to accelerate through this range, and then things recover beautifully on the top side all the way to redline. I can tell from a visual inspection that I need a seal kit -- there are visible cracks in the boots above the cylinders, and I can even see the sheen of a tiny bit of liquid pulsing with the idle frequency. I anticipate I'll be tuning carbs before too long... that'll be a first, but I'm looking forward to it. Down the line, I'd like to think about a naked conversion and a total teardown.

I'd bet that's more than enough to count for an intro. Nice to meet you folks. I dig your posts. Cheers.
I haven't lived a perfect life. But there's one thing of which I'm proud. One stand on which I've never wavered.
When someone calls my phone, it makes a god***n ringing sound.

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login