New Member - Here to Learn from XJRiders - Feb 2017

Tell us about yourself, what you ride, and share your favorite picture.
Blade
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region or State: NY USA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1982 Yamaha XJ550

Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:20 pm

Muratic acid or vinager also works to do it cheaply. Epoxy done properly cures it forever. Although a bit expensive and tough to find.
Not all of us color between the lines.

Posbike
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: MN, USA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Xj600 Seca II & 2016 Yamaha FZ-07

Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:26 pm

Blade wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:20 pm
Muratic acid or vinager also works to do it cheaply. Epoxy done properly cures it forever. Although a bit expensive and tough to find.
Thanks for the tip sir. I used Rescue Metal after researching all of the options/recommendations. It was pretty easy, no mess no gunk, just rotate and dump out and rinse with some gas. Still $20/gallon though but works great.

Radare posted a link to another method as well. I believe this may be more cost effective.

Thanks,

Al
You can call me Al
93 Xj600 Seca II
16 Yamaha FZ 07
Minnesota, USA
Attended University of YouTube

Posbike
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:36 am

This weekend I dug a bit deeper and mustard up the courage to go ahead and take the carburetor off the bike for a deeper clean. It was not as hard or complicated as I thought and it only took me a little but longer to figure out how to take off the decelerator cable.

I am going to have a friend do the cleaning as he has a ultrasonic machine. While I have everything off I cam going to replace the manifold boots. Just bought these off of Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-Brand-new-92 ... 7F&vxp=mtr

I noticed some mist spitting out of these. When I inspected them there was a little bit of cracking in the rubber I noticed. I am in the market for a new airbox as well. I read that pods do not work well and am looking to replace this.

There are several airboxes on Ebay currently, but I am not 100% confident in my ability to determine which one would work well and if there are any missing pieces. Need to do some additional research there.
You can call me Al
93 Xj600 Seca II
16 Yamaha FZ 07
Minnesota, USA

Posbike
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:01 am

Summer updates:

The bike was not running well for some reason. I got the carbs cleaned and it still ran flat in some ranges. I ended up taking it to a hole in the wall mechanic. He advised he thought it was electrical and started troubleshooting. He advised it may be the computer. Luckily for me, I had an extra one lying around in the parts bin/area.

Popped that baby in and wala. She runs even better than before.
I also got the stock airbox on a little after.

When the bike was being worked on I noticed I had developed an addiction to riding and ended up purchasing a FZ07. I was no longer sad seeing other people on 2s when I wasn't. Now I have two bikes :-)

Hope everyone is having a good summer so far.
You can call me Al
93 Xj600 Seca II
16 Yamaha FZ 07
Minnesota, USA

TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II
United States of America

Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:31 pm

Congrats on not only getting your XJ600 running better but picking up the FZ07 too!
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93