New XJRider forum Member Chiya from Holland joining with a XJ600S Diversion from " 98

Tell us about yourself, what you ride, and share your favorite picture.
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:08 am

Nice score!

I'd get the new bike ready and just drop the old one. It's been giving you enough trouble anyway. And spares are easy to come by in most cases. ;)

Chiya
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Utrecht
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ 600 S Diversion 1998

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:29 am

How are you guys doing?!

Quick update on my plans. As I said in my earlier post, I acquired a donor bike. Well Since that bike has a lower milage and since the engine is in a better shape for the most part. I decided to use my old bike as a donor for this one, following up on Arne's advice.

Last week I stripped the bike of it's fairings and fuel tank and pannier brackets. Took off the exhaust so I could reach the oil pan/strainer cover. I had the gasket laying around since march as well as a new oil filter, all I needed was a new set of exhaust gaskets and the work could begin.

I knew that removing the old strainer gasket was going to be a pain in the *** but I still underestimated it somehow. Took me 2 hours to clean the surface to a satisfying reflective surface. Wouldn't want it to leak again... I had the help of a mate for the exhaust headers, because they're a pain in the *** to hold and also get the gaskets in place by your own. (Tried that the first time one and half year ago and took me 3 hours if not more to fully assemble exhaust) Now it just took 15 minutes total (disassembly - assembly)

So eventually got everything assembled and filled the bike with some fresh 10w40 castrol, poured in around 2.6 litres I think. Got the bike running, fired up instantly and got the oil hot. To my surprise I saw oil leaking from the bottom of the clutch housing. Now I have a weird feeling that maybe the leak was from the clutch housing this whole time and that I wasted my time and resources for the strainer cover gasket. Well I can still laugh about it and know that at least that part doesn't need changing any time soon.

I switched the top fairing bracket with, the top fairings, fuel tanks and all the rear fairings from the old bike to the new one. Now I have a red frame with a VMAX Blue fairing kit. I also took the liberty to properly do some cable management for my USB, Heated grips and Garmin nav cables.

Switched out the handlebars, moved the handlebar bar-back risers from SW motech to the red bike for a better upright position, what can I say I am a small guy.

What is left to do is switch out the fuel tank lock mechanism, I got stranded because I totally forgot to do that, so the triple A (ANWB) helped me ruin the key hole so I could pour some fuel in there. Stupid mistake...

I need to swop the front legs since they the ones on the new bike are completely dry, no damping whatsoever. Really dangerous to ride by the way. I had at least 4 occasions where the front was looking for grip.

I also need a new front tire. I think I will go for a Michelin Pilot Activ again or the BT45's I am not sure, but the activ lasted 35k km's on me. Is that a lot less than what you guys get from those tires?? Let me know please!

So short summary to-do:
Front legs swop
Fuel tank lock mechanism swop
New front tire (Active or BT45?)
Clutch cover gasket replacement (I have a bit of a slipping clutch so I think I will do a complete clutch job with steel plates frictions and springs)

Will post Pictures as soon as I get them off my phone!

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:09 pm

Sounds like you've got a lot going on. And get those pictures up as I would love to see them. ;)

On the fork legs, have you serviced your old ones? If not, do yourself a favor and pull them apart, clean them thoroughly, put in new gaskets and refill with new oil. It will transform the way the bike feels. Consider picking up the oil 5 and get it to be a bit less 'springy'.
I would go for the BT's. The Activ's give a lot of mileage, but they are a hard tire. The BT's give you less mileage, but a lot more grip. You will like the change.
On the clutch replacement, do yourself a favor, pull the clutch plates and carefully measure them when you take them out. (Oh, and keep them in the right order.) In the Haynes there are measurements for when the plates are new and when they are worn. I once ordered a set, then found that all my plates were still near new. I cleaned them up thoroughly and put the whole thing back together (with the new clutch cover gasket) and used them with a lot more pleasure afterwards. :)

Chiya
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:57 am

The thing is I don't own a sturdy table clamb to do a proper fork job. It looks doable, but without the proper gear I am afraid a project like that would take me an entire weekend. I contacted the dealership and they would service them for 150 euro's. I am considering that since the front tire needs changing anyway. I might as well let them do it.

I changed the monoshock to my serviced Hagon. Rides much harder now, with the damping and spring presets at medium settings. I will leave it like that for now since I often ride 2up. Would love harder front end since I love riding those twisties, wouldn't get as much front lifting action and the added braking performance is very needed. Dot 5 I believe?

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:20 am

Hmmm, a clamp would help. You can do most of it without it though, unless you have leaking gaskets and you really need to disassemble the whole thing. (You can drive down here and I'll help you if you bring the parts. ;) ) If you just want to flush it, you can just open the forks a slight bit while still in the triples and then loosen the whole thing and take them out. Make sure you have sturdy support under your bike though. ;) Then just flush them with a cleaner, make sure all of it is out again and refill back to spec when back in the triple.
If you can do it yourself, spend €99 on progressive springs from Hyperpro of Wilbers instead of spending it on the service by the shop. Springs make much more of a difference than just oil. Or spend €149 on a full set including oil like this one.

Chiya
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:42 am

Well yesterday I managed to swop the leaking forks from the "new" bikes with the non leaking forks of my old bike. I stumbled on a set of hagon progressive shocks on wemoto.be which I am really considering. Tuesday I have an appointment for a new bt45 front tire. I placed an order for a full clutch set friction, steel, spring and gasket the whole bunch. Also bought 1 litre of oil since I am planning to lean the bike to it side to prevent a oil refresh. Just had new oil in.

Here are the pictures 🙂
Screenshot_20170923-173643.jpg
Screenshot_20170923-173529.jpg
Screenshot_20170923-173755.jpg
Screenshot_20170923-173719.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:38 am

I'd go for the Hagon's. I had Hagon and Wilbers on the Tiger and that rode great!

Chiya
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:43 pm

Hello there!

Happy news here! Got a new front tire, BT45 really happy with it since the handling improved immensely. Since I swopped the forks the front end is nice and stiff ( leaking forks and a slique tire are really really dangerous, take it from me, I had at least four instances that my front end was looking for grip).

Furthermore I received the Tutoro Auto yesterday. Decided to install it on the bike. Here is the ens result:
Screenshot_20171001-224051.jpg
Screenshot_20171001-224119.jpg
Let me know what you guys think :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II
United States of America

Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:08 pm

That looks pretty good, ought to work just fine. Is that a single sided oil dispenser?
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:14 am

Looks great. How does it work? Does the chain get greased nicely?

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93