New XJRider forum Member Chiya from Holland joining with a XJ600S Diversion from " 98

Tell us about yourself, what you ride, and share your favorite picture.
Chiya
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Utrecht
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ 600 S Diversion 1998

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:50 am

predrag80 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:33 am
Maybe it is little bit too late but, you could buy original second hand brake discs from Yamaha r6 1998-2002 I think. I did so.
Second thing, have you replaced both discs or just one? It looks to me that you have replaced just one. If that is the case, change them both.
Hello :)

Yes I have only changed one because my dealer said the other one was fine and within limits. And I did come across the R6 discs but was hesitant to buy those because I couldn't find the measurements. Today I received by rear brake disc by the way:
Rear disc front.PNG
Rear disc back.PNG
And I haven't rebuild the calipers yet because I need to receive the caliper repair kit. Thought I'd do it once and do it good. Instead of finding out after 2 hours of cleaning that it's still crap :cry:

What I did do is fix my hanging indicator light. I just removed a washer and revealed enough thread to turn the nut into. Also I picked up some nut bolts and rubber plates to secure my fairing with. Since I had the Div I had my top fairing loose on one side, never bothered me. But thought I get that over with as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chiya
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:54 am

radare wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:41 am
Before you tear apart the caliper, remove the rotor and make sure that it's mounting points are all clean. Then look at the surface of the rotor and see if there is a patch that is wearing in more than the other areas of the rotors.
Hi radare, that's actually very good advice. I think you mean the new front rotor right?

predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Romania
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1998 Yamaha XJ600S

Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:22 am

One thing that might help, since we have floating discs, clean the bobins thoroughly. It might help. You can find on youtube how to do it.

Chiya
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:08 am

predrag80 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:22 am
One thing that might help, since we have floating discs, clean the bobins thoroughly. It might help. You can find on youtube how to do it.
That's bloody genius, found this video on youtube. I'll try that today, since it is going to be nice weather =]

Thanks !

Chiya
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:15 pm

HI guys,

Unbelievable... I am looking for the following items :
Part number 3YX-W0091-02 for the set, but I only need the parts in red.
WhatsApp Image 2017-04-20 at 23.46.03.jpeg
and it happens to be that Yamaha does not have a part number for them, you can only get it by ordering the entire set..... And the entire set costs 155,49 euro's!! or 85 dollars if I order from the states...WHAT?!

I am certain there is a way cheaper solution to this. This is insanely expensive.

For those who wonder what the above items are, they are nut and securing washers for the brake lever, as shown in red below.
WhatsApp Image 2017-04-21 at 00.19.07.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chiya
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:21 pm

I guess I found a workaround,

I'll just have to buy a master cylinder set inc brake lever somewhere secondhand and make sure it has these items attached to it. The price ranges from 25 to 45 euro's depending on the state of the master cylinder.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:47 am

Sorry I missed this Chiya. What that nut does is holds the lever in place at whatever your current adjustment is. You don't need it to be that specific hardware, though. A spring, two washers and a nylon-locknut would work just fine.

Chiya
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:50 am

Ah so it's just the adjustment mechanism. Well got everything except the spring. I guess the right amount of washers also keep the lever in the desired setting. Thanks for clearing it up! Glad I didn't went on and buy some expensive replacement :)

What I need it for is my new Div :) Went on the dutch craigslist variant "marktplaats" and got a nice deal on an other 1998 xj600s diversion. Quite a low mileage and on paper it is a xj600N diversion though it is faired. So somewhere along the line one of the previous owners got a full upper fairing set on it in the right colour etc. Only things it needs are:
-a new sump gasket,
-front indicator lights (got a complete original set laying around of my other diversion),
-new brake lever with those nuts washers and spring. And surprisingly that's it.

It rides so much better than my other diversion and I think that's due to the low mileage. Here it is:
Screenshot_20170328-124700.jpg

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:55 am

Congratulations on the new bike. It looks to be in great shape.

Chiya
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:05 pm

Thank you, yes in far better shape than the other one. I was planning to use my other Div. as a donor bike someday. Since this one's engine is in better shape too.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93