New XJRider forum Member Chiya from Holland joining with a XJ600S Diversion from " 98

Introduce yourself to the community. Tell us about yourself, what you ride, and share your favorite picture.
Chiya
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Utrecht
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ 600 S Diversion 1998

New XJRider forum Member Chiya from Holland joining with a XJ600S Diversion from " 98

Post by Chiya » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:08 pm

Hello Forum members, mod's and founders,

It's madness writing this at 5:44 AM. I blame Radare for mesmerising me with his Topic and project on his Pheonix.

Anyway, I am Chiya and I live in Holland. I don't have my motorcycle licence yet, I only need to do my "AVD" Which is joining the traffic part. I don't know what it's called in the US/UK. So for as far my riding experience goes, it's about 2 years on mopeds. It all started 6 years ago with a Baotian Monkey bike which was also the very first bike I maintained myself. I liked it so much that I ended up selling it, weird huh? No just kidding ;) It got stolen on a cold November night, told the police and they found it for me two days after the incident. The whole bike was messed up and I ended up selling it. So since then nothing until I decided I wanted to ride a moped again. I got myself a Skyteam DAX (See picture below) it had a nice aftermarket exhaust on it (I believe aftermarket) custom two tone paint-job and no rust (halleluja). First thing I did was fit on White Wall tires since it adds to the old school look. It's a real Eye Catcher. But yeah since I got more and more into riding I was ready for the real thing and that's why Today I bought a XJ600S Diversion "98. I have been browsing the World Wide Web for some used parts. I am still figuring out what to do with it. I really like Cafe Racers, scramblers, tuned and customised bikes. Do you guys have any suggestions or forum post that are a Must to read on the matter of customising a Xj600S Diversion from "98?

I am also interested in reading about the past of the XJ600S Diversion from "98 any nice history topics?

Well I'd like to thank all of you in advance for answering my questions and hope to hear from you all.

And sorry for any bad english since it's all self thought and very little from University.

Here are some before pics:

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Helensburgh, Scotland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 XJ600N

Re: New XJRider forum Member Chiya from Holland joing with a XJ600S Diversion from " 98

Post by Slartibartfast » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:45 am

Welcome to the site!

FIrstly, don't worry about your English - its better than a lot of English people manage :oops:

I'm guessing that you've already been looking at the Projects threads if you've seen Radare's post - there are some fantastic posts in that bit with an incredible array of work having been documented. Be warned though, you'll lose an awful lot of time once you start reading them!

As for model history there are a few good sites from google, WhiteDogBikes has a lot of info on it (if I recall Detonation posted this on the wall too)

Good luck with your test and lets have some pictures!
Nelsonmd wrote: My 4runner on the other hand... I decided she needed to be a girl only because I spent so much time underneath/inside her, I didn't want to think of her as a dude...

mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n

Re: New XJRider forum Member Chiya from Holland joing with a XJ600S Diversion from " 98

Post by mikee112 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:21 am

Welcome Chiya :)

SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra

Post by SpeedRacerOnline » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:55 pm

Welcome to XJRider! That DAX is sweet looking! :thumbsup:

The best suggestion I can think of is to keep looking through the project threads for inspiration. You'll find tons of ideas there, and hopefully eventually combine the best of them for your own personal flair. The good thing is, these bikes are so easy to work with, there's really no reason any two ever have to be the same. Make it your own, exactly the way you want it...and enjoy the ride!
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

Chiya
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Post by Chiya » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:05 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:Welcome to the site!

FIrstly, don't worry about your English - its better than a lot of English people manage :oops:

I'm guessing that you've already been looking at the Projects threads if you've seen Radare's post - there are some fantastic posts in that bit with an incredible array of work having been documented. Be warned though, you'll lose an awful lot of time once you start reading them!

As for model history there are a few good sites from google, WhiteDogBikes has a lot of info on it (if I recall Detonation posted this on the wall too)

Good luck with your test and lets have some pictures!

Ahh Thank you for the compliment :D that's really nice to read. Today I had yet another lesson riding the bike through the city, the instructor was really complimenting my riding style. Only thing is that I have to pay a bit more attention to the "traffic plates/signs?" but honestly there were some tricky corners and hidden signs that I could only see at the last moment when reaching the turn.

And thanks for the warning hahaha I have indeed noticed it takes a lot of time reading through them. As I said in my first post, I read Radares project from beginning till end, couldn't stop!!!

Furthermore... I came across the wall too and read that piece of history from Detonation. Thank you for the link :)

Pictures Pictures Pictures!!! Today I made some pictures of the Divs Carburate. It's leaking oil or petrol on the left side, since the entire carburate is saturated with oil, petrol and dirt I have no idea what the origin of the leak is. I'll post them ASAP.
mikee112 wrote:Welcome Chiya :)
Thanks mikee112 =) it's nice to be here
SpeedRacerOnline wrote:Welcome to XJRider! That DAX is sweet looking! :thumbsup:

The best suggestion I can think of is to keep looking through the project threads for inspiration. You'll find tons of ideas there, and hopefully eventually combine the best of them for your own personal flair. The good thing is, these bikes are so easy to work with, there's really no reason any two ever have to be the same. Make it your own, exactly the way you want it...and enjoy the ride!
Yeah I am really loving the Dax, but I want SPEEEEEED hahaha so It has to make room for the Div unfortunately. And indeed I have been browsing through the projects thread, wow awesome stuff :clap:

Chiya
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Post by Chiya » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:14 pm

So here is the Div I bought for €100,- :)

This is the left side of the Carburetor. Nr 1 I believe? Heavy leaking of I don't know what and from where. (oil/petroll/nasty stuff)

Same as above, slightly less lightened.

The oil cooler is dry at the right hand side and completely lubed out on the left. Clearly a problem with the left hand side of the Carburetor or something in that area.

Am I missing the horn?

This is the inlet at the left side.

So any tips on how I can start? Is it even worthwhile? Should I start a new topic in the project section? Might want to think of a project name :P

predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Romania
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1998 Yamaha XJ600S

Post by predrag80 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:55 am

Hi Chiya and welcome. Nice bike you have there. As a starting point I would suggest a good clean in order to see what is going on there and also it will be better for you whan you start repairing. Do that first and after you will see if you need to make a project topic or not.

Chiya
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Post by Chiya » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:53 am

Thank you predrag80

All right then, in that case I'll plan a weekend off and see how far I'll get with cleaning. I read that I have to post at least 5 times to unlock the sites' service manual. I hope this is the one that will unlock that, it will help out a lot in the cleaning and disassembling process.

predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Romania
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1998 Yamaha XJ600S

Post by predrag80 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:50 am

Just spray it with plenty degreeser and/engine detergent, and rinse it with power washer. Be prepared to overhaule fuel petcock. I gues he is to blame for that masive contamination.

Chiya
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Re: New XJRider forum Member Chiya from Holland joing with a XJ600S Diversion from

Post by Chiya » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:55 pm

predrag80 wrote:Just spray it with plenty degreeser and/engine detergent, and rinse it with power washer. Be prepared to overhaule fuel petcock. I gues he is to blame for that masive contamination.
Yeah I have seen those degreaser and/engine detergent cans and liquids on servicing videos. Though, I haven't found them on dutch webshops. Any specific brand I should be searching for? And are there different types of liquids for different parts of the motorcycle? What brands or liquids do I apsolutely need to stay away from, not use at all. Things that do more bad than good.

I see some people using just simple household stuff like soda and dishwasher soap etc... I am not sure if that's proven to be good for the metal/rubber/gasket components.

I always cleaned my DAX with the air compressor (6-8bar pressure) and a old piece of cloth. Never really had good results by using degreasers etc. But then again, my dax never really got really really rusty and oxidated. Just chain oil and mud stains.