New XJRider from Maine

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
LeighTower
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

Hi guys -

I met up with XJRider.com from a Google search yesterday and, after reading for a bit tonight, I decided to plant my stake. I picked up a red 1993 XJ600SE Seca II a week ago w/ 25K on it for $1000. Insurance and registration followed, tomorrow it gets a new sticker (if the weather holds), and I'm good to go. Here's the funny story - my first bike was a '68 Honda CB350 bought in 1973. I rode it 2 years with lots of problems (mostly from split diaphrams in the carbs, I later found out). I was 18 at the time, my dad - who had a "no bikes" rule - had just split, and I was in heaven with my new toy. I sold it to buy my first car, a '68 Beetle, and drove off to a college summer internship in Illinois, to the rest of my college degree, and then marriage, wonderful kids, and young-at-heart old age!

My commuting ride partner bought his "I'm going to do what I'm going to do, whether the wife likes it or not" Ninja 550 last year and I've been jealous ever since. My oldest son's intention to buy a commuter bike for his life in San Francisco just galvanized me more (he wound up with a much dog-friendlier Jetta for his first vehicle).

So now, as Paul Harvey says, here's the rest of the story. Though I have lived in 4 different states over the past almost-40 years since that CB350, I managed to keep an active bike license through all that time (I came within a day of losing it when I renewed my license ON my birthday one year). And I knew there would be a reason that I managed to hold onto it! Looking forward to share stories with fellow bikers. Pictures of the new-to-me machine to follow. For now, you'll have to settle for the 18-year old me (which I'll upload as soon as someone describes how to embed an image here!)

40 years, probably 40 lbs ago...but notice the left ring finger. Must have been right after the vows! And the BIG glasses - if only I'd have known...

Mainely Leigh
Last edited by LeighTower on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best ride ever taken? The last one. I live for the next.

This topic has 15 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login