Biker wave...

Share your photos, videos and other media.
AshleyMarshall
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: York
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600 S

Re: Biker wave...

Post by AshleyMarshall » Mon May 01, 2017 2:49 pm

Don't know if you guys do this in the US but here in the UK bikers tend to 'nod' to one another rather than wave.

SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra

Post by SpeedRacerOnline » Tue May 02, 2017 3:54 pm

I do sometimes, but I always think they may not even be able to tell I did, so I usually stick a hand out as I go by.
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

xjardin
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: ca
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 xj600sfc

Post by xjardin » Wed May 03, 2017 12:12 am

Siper2 wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:03 pm
Left hand angled down usually, sometimes the Harley-style two finger thing, but usually my whole hand. And I wave at everyone... sportbikes, cruisers, scooters, bicyclists, kids on skateboards, people riding tractors, whatever. It's fun.
For bicyclist I just can't resist doing the ghost pedal as I go by.
Youtube Certified Backyard Technician

sleekitwan
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: yorkshire
Motorcycles Owned Currently: y2k Diversion 600 Naked

Post by sleekitwan » Sat May 20, 2017 4:43 am

This could be my second idea for a thesis for a doctorate...

The video link left, i waited for the guy slamming into something while overly waving.

Nodding is a lot safer and especially the less experienced might use this, most of all when travelling at interstate or motorway speeds. Most of you riders out there reading this will automatically compensate for the imbalances caused by raising one hand off the handlebars, but not everyone has learned that reflex or has the dexterity to do it anyway?

It is a mark of cameraderie and acknowledgement of some kind of bond. No this does not mean we are blood brothers or family but it is not nothing either.

Don't be taking it for granted or expect it - are you gonna reimburse the other rider for damage if they have an accident when feeling obliged to wave?!

As we all know, even when riding as a group, you ride for yourself, your primary responsibility is for yourself, nobody wants to make a common courtesy turn into an 'attention overhead'.

May your skill be enough for the hazards you meet!
Current bike year 2000 Yamaha XJ600N also called Seca II or Diversion 600. On an older bike air cooling is a blessing, no sludge and complexity of badly-maintained liquid cooling. Other bikes were: BMW K100 roadster; Honda VF750S Sabre with anti-dive.