XJ on Sand/Dirt

Share your photos, videos and other media.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:00 pm

Found this video on Youtube. Couple of observations. First, he does a pretty good job with it on sand. Second, he has some sort of foam zip-tied to the frame for protection.

phpBB [video]

jaszczomb
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Łódź, Poland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: xj 600s '99

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:23 am

This foam looks like simple lagging that is used in hydraulics to prevent pipes from loosing heat (https://www.bricoman.pl/artykuly-hydrau ... -13-mm-2mb), he has also nice rear light fitted in the bike.

xjardin
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: ca
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 xj600sfc

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:14 pm

Those look like pure street tires too haha
Youtube Certified Backyard Technician

SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
United States of America

Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:01 pm

LOL! You guys think that's riding in the sand. That's cute! :)

Seriously though, that's some pretty firm sand. Most of us should be able to navigate that pretty easily. In fact, a lot easier if he'd sit down to keep his center of gravity lower and keep the weight off the front end. Sorry, been riding in sand that makes that look like cement since I was 4.
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:02 pm

SpeedRacerOnline wrote:

Seriously though, that's some pretty firm sand. Most of us should be able to navigate that pretty easily. In fact, a lot easier if he'd sit down to keep his center of gravity lower and keep the weight off the front end. Sorry, been riding in sand that makes that look like cement since I was 4.
Do you ride in that sand on your XJ with street tires?

xjardin
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: ca
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 xj600sfc

Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:04 pm

radare wrote:
SpeedRacerOnline wrote:

Right I grew up riding dirt bikes in the sand, but this XJ is sketchy as f**k with street tires. Even just a few inches of soft sand and it starts to get squirelly. Most of that sand looks pretty firm but he for sure takes it through some sketchy spots there. Not that easy on those tires!
Youtube Certified Backyard Technician

jaszczomb
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Łódź, Poland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: xj 600s '99

Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:18 pm

Agree, I've tried once to ride on such sand and really got sweat trying not to fall.

SpeedRacerOnline
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
United States of America

Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:11 pm

Oof! Easy guys! I meant that with humor and encouragement, not rudely.
radare wrote:
Not regularly, but yes, I have. I've occasionally ridden my XJ up to our cabin for trail riding, and the last stretch of "road" back to our cabin is a trail where the sand is deep enough the kids don't even like riding their pedal bikes straight across it. I've done some riding on a few side trails up there, too. From what I can see in that video, the sand I'm used to is a lot more loose than what's in the video.
xjardin wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:04 pm
Right I grew up riding dirt bikes in the sand, but this XJ is sketchy as omitted with street tires. Even just a few inches of soft sand and it starts to get squirelly. Most of that sand looks pretty firm but he for sure takes it through some sketchy spots there. Not that easy on those tires!
My main point really was just that it couldn't have been that bad because he made it even though he was doing it all wrong. No matter what 2-wheeler you're riding, keeping your center of gravity low, and the front end light are key to stability in the sand. He was standing up and leaning forward; exactly the opposite of what he should have been doing there, and still made it pretty easily. If he was able to navigate it at all like that, it must be pretty firm sand, because in the sand I'm used to, a 180 pound person leaning forward on a 450 pound sport bike will sink that pointy narrow front tire right into the sand and cause it to slide out with ease, and standing up turns you into a hard-to-balance lever as soon as that happens.

Either way, I wasn't meaning to insult anyone. I just didn't want you all thinking it was something amazing that someone with extreme talent and courage did that you couldn't do, too. When I was a kid, my uncle rode his fully-dressed 1982 Suzuki GS with street tires out on the trails with us because it was all he had. That was nuts! Those trails have sharp curves and deep soft sand from machines tearing it up regularly, and as far as I can remember, he only dumped it once, and it was light enough to do no more damage than some scratches. This video was definitely not that. I'm not meaning to disrespect what the guy did. Rather, I mean to encourage you guys to be more adventurous because in conditions like this video, it's not as crazy as you think it is. You can do it too!
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:48 pm

SpeedRacerOnline wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:11 pm
Oof! Easy guys! I meant that with humor and encouragement.
So did I ;)

Posbike
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: MN, USA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Xj600 Seca II & 2016 Yamaha FZ-07

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:51 pm

Saw the video below when viewing the one Radare posted. Check out 1:45 :clap:

YbIWKHum9ls
You can call me Al
93 Xj600 Seca II
16 Yamaha FZ 07