Casper's Hiking logs

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Almost as Awesome as Murdock

I keep hearing about people wanting to see the beauty in other people's regions and I find some of the hiking trails around here to be amazing.

Every once and while I stop to take a photo on my hikes, so I will post them up in here. We will start with my short hike today.

Back in the Great Depression, a group of men were hired by the federal government to perform conservation acts in the newly formed National Forests. This group known as the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) did many amazing projects in the Sandias just east of Albuquerque. Many of the trails were originally made by them and some of their structures still exist today. Kiwanna's Cabin is brightly lit at the top of this ridgeline and is one of the many stone houses they built in the region. The are stone and concrete and these guys had to carry the concrete in, absurdly awesome.

We have been getting quite a bit of water recently and it shows. Bunches of wild flowers everywhere.

You can almost see the full length of one of my favorite roads in this shot, NM 333. You can also see the switchbacks that I was about to go down. (4000 feet elevation change.)

The center of the photo where the mountain gives way to the sky, that is where I started hiking at. Up there is the end of the Sandia Crest Road.

Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

This topic has 18 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login