Personal close calls

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator

I thought it might be interesting to load up some videos of ourselves in close call situations. If you are like me and video your daily rides/commute, load up clips of people being clowns around you. We can critique riding techniques/habits, and get feedback on prevention.

Here's my first, nothing too crazy, just another guy trying to change lanes into me, then honking at for being in his way:
[youtube]j0-J_0oO9Wg[/youtube]

So I usually ride to the inside of the lane, so in this case, the right side of the lane so as to be most visible to other drivers. In this case, I was temporarily riding on the left side of the lane because the guys in front of me were going really slow in the left lane, so I wanted to make myself visible to them to get them to speed up (I know, I can'take a bit of criticism for this, but usually people take the hint and get out of the way).

Anyway, after this happening a couple times in previous seasons, and watching some youtube video's on riding strategy, I am wondering if you guys feel safer on the inside of the lane (right side in this case), or the outside of the lane (left side in this case). I normally ride on the left side of the lane, but only ride on the right side of the lane when in the left lane on the highway (better visibility IMO). Had I been on the right side of the lane, the truck may have seen me better and not changed lanes into me, or if he still didn't see me, he would have hit me before I could react.

Also, I would normally honk at guys like this, but the spade connector for my horn slipped off sometimes. It will be fixed this weekend as I am redoing all my wiring right now. I really do feel kind of naked without the horn, it is definitely a safety tool.
NelsonMD's 92 XJ600 Project Thread

NelsonMD's 4Runner Build Thread (Rusted out)
2002 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 (gone)
2004 Vespa ET4 (sold)

This topic has 15 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login