Motorcycle crash videos thread - POSSIBLY GRAPHIC!

Share your photos, videos and other media.
xjman
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region:: Thame nr Oxford UK
Motorcycles:: 1990 XJ600F

Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:50 am

glc9BCmhgDk
check this out :o
Bender: I support and oppose many things, but not strongly enough to pick up a pen.

Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator
Region:: New England
Motorcycles:: 92 XJ600S; 2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:53 am

LeighTower wrote:
Nelsonmd wrote:Riding above his skill level I guess.
This one had nothing to do with riding above his skill level. It had everything to with being a moron. I'm sorry folks, but I just don't get the mentality of lawmakers in California and, obviously, whatever this guy's country is who legislate helmet laws and then go on to allow lane splitting. Helmets and seatback laws are good. I don't want to be the cause of someone's death because I make a small driving mistake that involves an unbelted driver. And I'll tell you right now that I won't be using split lanes at anything more than 1 mph over stopped, traffic-jammed highways if I ever move to CA. Death Wish was a movie, not a mantra.
Wait, you say this had everything to do with being a moron, then question the mentality of allowing lane splitting at all? That doesn't make sense at all. Anything will become dangerous for you or others if you do it like a maniac. Done reasonably, lane splitting can be a safer way to ride. Riding like a maniac is dangerous whether lane splitting or no, and whether or not the law says you can; after all, we don't know things are dangerous only because the law says we can't do them, our own judgement is king when it comes to how we conduct ourselves.

Check out this video of some guys talking about the safety and practicality of lane splitting when done rationally.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNGD9AAIfFU
NelsonMD's 92 XJ600 Project Thread

M̶y̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶:̶ I don't love her so much anymore... NelsonMD's 4Runner Build Thread

New (primary) ride: 2002 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
jaszczomb
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region:: Łódź, Poland
Motorcycles:: xj 600s '99

Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:50 pm

Bender wrote:glc9BCmhgDk
This looks even real till 0:35 after that is pure sci-fi :shrug:
mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Region:: UK
Motorcycles:: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n
Great Britain

Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:25 am

jaszczomb wrote:
I thought the same thing, the "explosion" at the end looks really fake....... cleaver video editing software ??
And the people seem as though they are "Acting" :ponder:
Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator
Region:: New England
Motorcycles:: 92 XJ600S; 2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:02 am

mikee112 wrote:
jaszczomb wrote:
I thought the same thing, the "explosion" at the end looks really fake....... cleaver video editing software ??
And the people seem as though they are "Acting" :ponder:
Uhhh, yeah, that is totally fake. no fakey videos here, just real carnage.
NelsonMD's 92 XJ600 Project Thread

M̶y̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶:̶ I don't love her so much anymore... NelsonMD's 4Runner Build Thread

New (primary) ride: 2002 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
xjman
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:27 am

yep, i guess maybe I'm gullible :oops: - it did seem rather incredible but then I really have no idea about fakes and how it's done :) :)
Bender: I support and oppose many things, but not strongly enough to pick up a pen.

cafe_bill
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Southern California
Motorcycles:: 92 XJ, 96 Buell, 07 FJR1300, 02, 95, 97 Sportsters

Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:29 pm

LeighTower wrote:
Nelsonmd wrote:Riding above his skill level I guess.
This one had nothing to do with riding above his skill level. It had everything to with being a moron. I'm sorry folks, but I just don't get the mentality of lawmakers in California and, obviously, whatever this guy's country is who legislate helmet laws and then go on to allow lane splitting.
I have to disagree 100%. The video depicts someone who does not have the skill set to split lanes and he ended up paying for it.

I live in California and have been splitting lanes through and around LA for well over 20 years. In rough numbers, I've averaged 6,000~8,000 miles per year spent splitting lanes on SoCal freeways. Think about those numbers for a second... I'm not talking total riding; my annual riding total has typically been up in the 16,000 per year range and nearly all that is daily commuting. Nearly half of my commuting time is spent splitting lanes. I point this out as a basis to show that I know what I'm talking about.

In all the years I've spent splitting lanes, I have had perhaps three close calls and zero accidents. Again, think about those numbers in relation to the miles I've done it per year every year.

And just to be clear, my average relative speed (how much faster I'm going than the cars I'm passing) is generally in the +10~15 mph range. If that sounds fast to you, it is. I'm almost always the one catching up to other bikes splitting lanes, I'm seldom the one moving over for other, faster moving bikes. (To ride, as you suggest, perhaps a mile per hour faster than traffic would be a sure way to get yourself killed.)

Lane splitting is indeed a very special skill set. I'm not going to go into detail because it would be a book... But I will say that I'm not any sort of anomaly; I have friends who do it just as much as I do and whom have similar histories.

It can most certainly be done safely. I'm so glad I live in a state where it's legal... I'd probably give up riding if I couldn't do it.
Bill
'07 FJR 1300
'02 Sportster
'97 Sportster
'96 Buell S2
'89/'95 Sportster
'92 Seca II
LeighTower
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Maine
Motorcycles:: 2015 FZ-07 (now) 1993 XJ600SE, 1989 XJ750 Virago
United States of America

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:20 pm

cafe_bill wrote:
I live in California and have been splitting lanes through and around LA for well over 20 years.

Lane splitting is indeed a very special skill set.

It can most certainly be done safely. I'm so glad I live in a state where it's legal... I'd probably give up riding if I couldn't do it.
Bill, I gladly accept your argument and stand down from my ill-conceived soapbox. Having never lived anywhere that allowed lane splitting, I made a rush conclusion about it, knowing nothing about the mindset of car drivers in a state that allows it. Saying that, though, I listened to my CA son explain the illegalities of motorists crossing into and out of HOV lanes, while witnessing both this exact scenario many times along with lane splitters running right up those same markers. To my mind, that was a disaster in the making.
Best ride ever taken? The last one. I live for the next.
Detonation
Hungry Like the Wolf!
Hungry Like the Wolf!
Region:: United Kingdom
Motorcycles:: The Rust Bucket

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:12 am

I've been doing it for 10 years now and have also never had a accident.

But the only place I don't agree with filtering / lane splitting is right up to the junction to pull onto roundabouts on a single lane road.

Roundabouts in the uk are busy, and are where most accidents happen on our roads, people are trying to watch for a space no bigger then there car and 95% of the time have there clutch at biting point so when that space does appear they just whack on the throttle and pull out as fast as they can.

If You try to pull out into that same space as them whilst they haven't even noticed a bike because there that focused on pulling out.
Things will go wrong.
1992 Yamaha XJ 600 Neikiddo

Build Thread

"Nitrous is like a cheap hooker, you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences"
xjman
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:29 am

ah roundabouts, I believe that they are much less common in the States, for me it is the size of them that can make them a worry, some of the bigger ones seem to encourage car/truck/van drivers to be reluctant to stop at all so as you negotiate round with a view to pulling off you find yourself trying to manoeurve with fast vehicles on the inside, it can be quite disconcerting.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us