Motorcycle crash videos thread - POSSIBLY GRAPHIC!

Share your photos, videos and other media.
Post Reply
User avatar
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Posts: 2690
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:17 pm
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha TT600 / BMW R 1150 GS
Location: Goes, NL
Contact:
Netherlands

Tue May 23, 2017 1:58 am

fateddy wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 7:59 pm
The whole thing wasn't 100% his fault, but he could 100% have avoided it.
Which in my book makes it 100% his fault. He is traffic coming from behind, so he is the one responsible. The car had completely changed lanes before he hit it, which makes him 100% responsible. He was not anticipating on speed changes and traffic, which is 100% responsible. He is on a motorcycle, which means he is 1000% more vulnerable, which makes him 100% responsible.

I guess I have a pretty strong opinion on this situation. In fact, that opening message really annoyed me. It should have read: "It only takes one second to brake when coming up on traffic. Please use that one second and save your motorcycle." ;) :twocents:

User avatar
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Posts: 8476
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:42 pm
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:
United States of America

Tue May 23, 2017 8:34 am

arnehulstein wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:58 am
I guess I have a pretty strong opinion on this situation. In fact, that opening message really annoyed me. It should have read: "It only takes one second to brake when coming up on traffic. Please use that one second and save your motorcycle." ;) :twocents:
:lolno:

We need a 100% smiley.

User avatar
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Posts: 2690
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:17 pm
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha TT600 / BMW R 1150 GS
Location: Goes, NL
Contact:
Netherlands

Tue May 23, 2017 8:56 am

radare wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 8:34 am
We need a 100% smiley.
Funny you say that...

Image

(It does exist. ;) )

User avatar
mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:13 am
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n
Location: Essex, England
Great Britain

Tue May 23, 2017 1:14 pm

Although I agree that the biker could have avoided the crash it did seem like the kid driving the car was on the phone ( the phone was on his knee ) and he looked like he was on drugs :???: ( he seemed bewildered by the whole thing ) :twocents:

User avatar
cafe_bill
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:28 pm
Region or State: Southern California
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 XJ, 96 Buell, 07 FJR1300, 02, 95, 97 Sportsters
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Wed May 24, 2017 12:02 pm

fateddy wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 7:59 pm
The whole thing wasn't 100% his fault, but he could 100% have avoided it.
The rider most certainly wasn't paying attention and could have avoided the accident.

I ride in exactly that situation (hard to say but perhaps the same HOV lane) all the time. It's normal to be going 60 mph in the HOV lane while traffic in the #1 lane next to you is stopped.

There shouldn't be any danger since it's illegal to cross the double yellow line into the HOV lane - and that's exactly what the driver did in this video. The biker shouldn't have to worry about that guy, but he just crossed the line illegally because he wanted to be moving. I see it daily. Since I see it daily and since I've been doing this for over 25 years, I'm constantly scanning for people glancing in their side view mirrors or their front wheels starting to cant towards the HOV lane. Plus, and this is where the rider really screwed up, you hang to the left side of the lane and head that way if anyone even hints that they might come over. Motorcycles can easily squeeze through a three foot space and few car drivers will get that close to a concrete barrier. You can nearly always fit through even once a car comes all the way over.

Legally, the car was 100% at fault. However, the rider wasn't paying attention and didn't do anything to avoid the accident, in fact, at the last second he steered the wrong way and had no chance of avoiding the car. If it were me that had been the rider I'd consider it entirely my own fault.
Bill
'07 FJR 1300
'02 Sportster
'97 Sportster
'96 Buell S2
'89/'95 Sportster
'92 Seca II

User avatar
fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:07 pm
Region or State: North Colorado
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 XJ600N, 1991 Suzuki DR350
United States of America

Sat May 27, 2017 5:30 pm

cafe_bill wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 12:02 pm
fateddy wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 7:59 pm
The whole thing wasn't 100% his fault, but he could 100% have avoided it.
The rider most certainly wasn't paying attention and could have avoided the accident.

I ride in exactly that situation (hard to say but perhaps the same HOV lane) all the time. It's normal to be going 60 mph in the HOV lane while traffic in the #1 lane next to you is stopped.

There shouldn't be any danger since it's illegal to cross the double yellow line into the HOV lane - and that's exactly what the driver did in this video. The biker shouldn't have to worry about that guy, but he just crossed the line illegally because he wanted to be moving. I see it daily. Since I see it daily and since I've been doing this for over 25 years, I'm constantly scanning for people glancing in their side view mirrors or their front wheels starting to cant towards the HOV lane. Plus, and this is where the rider really screwed up, you hang to the left side of the lane and head that way if anyone even hints that they might come over. Motorcycles can easily squeeze through a three foot space and few car drivers will get that close to a concrete barrier. You can nearly always fit through even once a car comes all the way over.

Legally, the car was 100% at fault. However, the rider wasn't paying attention and didn't do anything to avoid the accident, in fact, at the last second he steered the wrong way and had no chance of avoiding the car. If it were me that had been the rider I'd consider it entirely my own fault.
Very much agreed. That whole situation is similar to what I see in Denver often. Motorcycles can use the HOV lane, and that lane is usually moving far faster than the one to the right of it. And like that situation, I see a car sneaking across a couple lanes into the HOV lane like that to try to jump ahead in line just often enough that I'll never put myself on a bike in it. I just don't ride often enough any more to be comfortable with my own reaction time despite riding there being legal.
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

User avatar
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Posts: 8476
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:42 pm
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:
United States of America

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:45 pm

This video was posted earlier in this thread but cut short (I think). Here's the full video where you get to hear the audio of the first responders, see what happened to the guy, the bike and the firetruck, and read his story. Watch the whole video but be prepared for the crash at about 2:45.

You can hear him say he's happy in the very first seconds of the video. I imagine he was having a great day, out with his friend, enjoying the bike and sun and pushing it a bit faster than he should of. You can see early on the road his friend is pulling away from him and judging by his speed, it seems he's trying to keep up. In the last few moments, he gives the bike a handful of throttle, approaches the right-hand turn, sets his speed with a bit of front brake, goes around the righthand corner with a bit too much speed, sees the firetruck, steps on too much rear brake and hits it.

The comments (and previous discussion here) say that his error was target fixation. But if you go clear back to the first minute of the video, I think his ultimate mistake was trying to keep up with another rider and forcing himself to push his bike beyond his own skillset. Had his friend not been present he may not have been in the accident at all.

Makes you think.

phpBB [video]


BTW, I ride a lot with Fateddy. I'm lucky to have met him as he rides in the same mindset I do and we get along well. I don't much care to find myself in rides where I have to push myself beyond my comfort zone.

User avatar
Siper2
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:23 pm
Region or State: Pennsylvania
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 Yamaha XJ600SF

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:06 pm

^ Ouch. :thumbdown: I agree - I ride pretty modestly, and it's nice to find riders with similar mindsets. I ride with a buddy occasionally, he's often MUCH faster than I am but I just tell him, "If you have to wait, you have to wait. Sorry."
radare wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 8:34 am
arnehulstein wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:58 am
I guess I have a pretty strong opinion on this situation. In fact, that opening message really annoyed me. It should have read: "It only takes one second to brake when coming up on traffic. Please use that one second and save your motorcycle." ;) :twocents:
:lolno:

We need a 100% smiley.
Funny story. In 2002, my wife spent three weeks in VietNam when she was in grad school, on a Red Cross mission. She's a doctor of chiropractic and they set up a free clinic for thousands of people to come and get treatments. Anyway, she learned a lot of the culture of course, and several of the cool people she met would often say "100%!" when toasting with beer. Rather than "cheers!" it was "100%!" I remember her telling me that, I thought it was pretty funny.

So maybe a couple clinking beer glasses with "100%" in the background would be fun. :thumbsup:

Post Reply