XJ of the Month, January 2012: 1Oldman's '93 XJ600S

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
1Oldman
XJ600 Master!
XJ600 Master!

[center]Image[/center]

I bought this bike from a towing company's impound lot. It was dark when I went down to look at it and I knew nothing about a Yamaha XJ600 except that it looked similar to the Suzuki GSF 400 Bandit that I had originally been looking for. The bike started an ran and for an extra $35 the guy said he'd deliver to my house. It was only after I paid him $635 and it was delivered that I really got a good look at it, and it was a mess. It had a cracked and scraped up fairing, several good size dents in the gas tank and what looked like years of neglected oily grime on everything from the engine on back, and it would only run with the choke on. It took me over six months to get it road worthy enough even to attempt to license it and I chastised myself severely for a long time for allowing myself to be suckered into buying it. I don't have any pictures of it in that original state but you can follow all that I went thru from then 'til now on “My Yamaha Saga” in the Projects thread.

This is what the bike looked like after about 6 months of cleanup and repairs when I was finally able to get it on the road.

This is the bike today after several years more work and improvements.
Many thanks to those that voted for it as XJ of the Month.

Better to be over the hill than under it.