Some Interesting XJ's

Share your photos, videos and other media.
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region:: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles:: Yamaha TT600 / BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Fri May 27, 2016 12:15 pm

Came across this one in an old German magazine from 1997. Never saw one in real life. That would be an exclusive bike. ;)
webman94
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region:: arizona
Motorcycles:: 1997 Yamaha Seca II

Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:51 pm

Nelsonmd wrote:
SpeedRacerOnline wrote:Agreed, though many of them don't ride them far. I've got a friend who built a pretty sweet chopper that's too scary and uncomfortable for long rides, but tons of fun for short rides, cruising, and shows (I've ridden it; it is fun). He's got another bike that's his regular daily driver.
As an engineer (and in the automotive industry even...), this kind of bike to me is almost worse than death for the bike. It's like foot binding, neck elongation, or a Victorian corset. You are mutilating and damaging the bike to achieve an extreme look, and in the process making it barely functional. It's stomach is shoved up against it's lungs, so it can't breath and can't eat more than a rice cake and a few peas, and it can't run, play, or carry children, or anything. It's like the opposite of everything my career is about; sacrifice function for looks.

It makes me anthropomorphize the bike and then my mind just plays Sarah Mclachlin on repeat until I want to cry or give money to a organization to end cruelty to motorcycles...

Is that enough drama for everyone? :)
I hear you, and would normally agree, but in this case, the builder started with an old DKW frame, and probably wanted something more reliable and powerful for an engine. It's not like he removed a functioning swing arm and hard tailed it. That really grinds my gears...

I actually admire the guy's creativity in shoehorning a modern 600 into the space that formerly held a little 350. He's also made a HUGE increase in its stopping ability.
webman94
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:35 pm

Onetirefire wrote:These guys have an incredible brat/scrambler and they just finished an xj600 diversion cafe racer. I might be stealing that tank stripe when my bike goes naked. http://www.wrenchkings.com/our-bikes/ya ... xj600.html
Great find!
cafe_bill
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Southern California
Motorcycles:: 92 XJ, 96 Buell, 07 FJR1300, 02, 95, 97 Sportsters

Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:44 pm

Nelsonmd wrote:It's pretty, but I can't get around the fact that it's probably miserable to ride. I've never understood why people go with these paper thin seats. I mean I know they minimize the look of the seat, but now it just looks like it's missing something, and I'd never want to ride it.

As an engineer (and in the automotive industry even...), this kind of bike to me is almost worse than death for the bike. It's like foot binding, neck elongation, or a Victorian corset. You are mutilating and damaging the bike to achieve an extreme look, and in the process making it barely functional. It's stomach is shoved up against it's lungs, so it can't breath and can't eat more than a rice cake and a few peas, and it can't run, play, or carry children, or anything. It's like the opposite of everything my career is about; sacrifice function for looks.

It makes me anthropomorphize the bike and then my mind just plays Sarah Mclachlin on repeat until I want to cry or give money to a organization to end cruelty to motorcycles...

The basic problem of your argument is that it’s based upon looking in a mirror for the definition of what a motorcycle should be.

Personally, what I found I wanted in a motorcycle 25~30 years ago doesn’t work for me today. I was anointed “Café Bill” back in the mid-nineties when I was customizing Sportsters into café Sportsters. Back then rear-sets, clip-ons and laying on the tank was comfortable for me. Café Sportsters were my daily drivers and I racked up tens of thousands of miles on them each year. Today, with arthritis throughout my body, I can barely ride one for an hour once a week. Not only do people have different ideas about what a motorcycle should be, each and every one of us probably uses them differently.

You have to take a step back and realize that motorcycles – at least in the US – are not a rational transportation device. Oh we, as owners, may rationalize them for any number of reasons, but they really are rationalizations to hide the fact that we own them to satisfy our emotional desires.

Is a motorcycle built strictly for its aesthetics wrong? Are concept cars also wrong? Some owners, no matter how utilitarian their bikes are, never ride for more than short periods or time or more often than once in a while. Yet, they’re still riders

In other words stop looking in the mirror to decide if someone else’s interpretation of a motorcycle is right or wrong, good or bad…
Bill
'07 FJR 1300
'02 Sportster
'97 Sportster
'96 Buell S2
'89/'95 Sportster
'92 Seca II
webman94
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:54 am

cafe_bill wrote:
Nelsonmd wrote:It's pretty, but I can't get around the fact that it's probably miserable to ride. I've never understood why people go with these paper thin seats. I mean I know they minimize the look of the seat, but now it just looks like it's missing something, and I'd never want to ride it.

The basic problem of your argument is that it’s based upon looking in a mirror for the definition of what a motorcycle should be.

Personally, what I found I wanted in a motorcycle 25~30 years ago doesn’t work for me today. I was anointed “Café Bill” back in the mid-nineties when I was customizing Sportsters into café Sportsters. Back then rear-sets, clip-ons and laying on the tank was comfortable for me. Café Sportsters were my daily drivers and I racked up tens of thousands of miles on them each year. Today, with arthritis throughout my body, I can barely ride one for an hour once a week. Not only do people have different ideas about what a motorcycle should be, each and every one of us probably uses them differently.

You have to take a step back and realize that motorcycles – at least in the US – are not a rational transportation device. Oh we, as owners, may rationalize them for any number of reasons, but they really are rationalizations to hide the fact that we own them to satisfy our emotional desires.

Is a motorcycle built strictly for its aesthetics wrong? Are concept cars also wrong? Some owners, no matter how utilitarian their bikes are, never ride for more than short periods or time or more often than once in a while. Yet, they’re still riders

In other words stop looking in the mirror to decide if someone else’s interpretation of a motorcycle is right or wrong, good or bad…
Words to live by, Bill. Well said!
Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator
Region:: New England
Motorcycles:: 92 XJ600S; 2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:36 pm

I was trying to be a bit tongue-in-cheek for the sake of humor, but I will stand behind my words in the end. I'm not trying to impose my view on others, I'm just throwing my opinion out to the interweb for people to agree with or not. I understand the idea of expressing creativity with motorcycles, and I support creativity in design and builds. I will never say that people shouldn't be allowed to make whatever designs they want.

I criticized the seat of that bobber because it looks extremely uncomfortable, and I stand by that; I doubt I'm wrong about the comfort level.

The rest of my comments were referring to the chopper Speedracer described. I pictured an extreme chopper with very high rake angle, and I assumed the fun of it is in the novelty of being able to ride it, and the reaction people have to it. That may have been incorrect, but he didn't describe anything else about the rideability that made it particularly fun. I don't think it's really creative or innovative to sacrifice functional performance for an arbitrary feature like length of the forks, thinness of the seat, or stuff like that. Aesthetics do matter, but again, as an engineer, I value function over aesthetics more than most will, and I also think that alot of aesthetic desire can be satisfied without sacrificing so much functionality as in some of these custom builds. I think true innovation is finding ways to satisfy both at a higher level.

That said, at some point, I stop referring to it as a motorcycle in the common definition. Some concept cars are obviously designed not for transportation but to showcase some kind of either innovation, or design point, and they have sacrificed almost all the meaningful functionality of the vehicle to do it. At that point I call it more of an art exhibit, or even a demo than I would call it an actual vehicle.

Anyway, I never said those bikes were wrong, I said they were wrong to me. I am not trying to impose my "mirror view" on anyone, but if we can't post our opinions on stuff, then this thread and forum will be pretty empty and boring. I think most people on this forum share my general preference of function over aesthetic, as the XJ isn't generally considered a highly aesthetically pleasing bike, but it's very functional (it's no supermodel, but she's beautiful to me because I appreciate what she actually is), so I thought my opinion there was relevant, and again, I was trying to make it humorous.
NelsonMD's 92 XJ600 Project Thread

M̶y̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶:̶ I don't love her so much anymore... NelsonMD's 4Runner Build Thread

New (primary) ride: 2002 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
Detonation
Hungry Like the Wolf!
Hungry Like the Wolf!
Region:: United Kingdom
Motorcycles:: The Rust Bucket

Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:31 am

Not my type of thing but still interesting work.
On ebay atm as a non runner, bidding is currently at what i paid for mine as a running bike nearly standard.

1992 Yamaha XJ 600 Neikiddo

Build Thread

"Nitrous is like a cheap hooker, you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences"
93delswol
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: CA
Motorcycles:: 92 Seca II

Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:28 am

[quote="radare"]Here are some interesting takes on an XJ Cafe Racer. I like the red & silver one.

Does anybody know if those are the stock bars flipped?
Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator
Region:: New England
Motorcycles:: 92 XJ600S; 2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:55 am

93delswol wrote:Does anybody know if those are the stock bars flipped?
Most definitely not. I think they're called drag bars. Bikemaster makes one like that.
NelsonMD's 92 XJ600 Project Thread

M̶y̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶:̶ I don't love her so much anymore... NelsonMD's 4Runner Build Thread

New (primary) ride: 2002 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region:: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles:: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:10 am

Nelsonmd wrote:
93delswol wrote:Does anybody know if those are the stock bars flipped?
Most definitely not. I think they're called drag bars. Bikemaster makes one like that.
Clubman's

Drag bars are typically a flat bar with two shallow bends.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us