Press starter button bike does nothing - Resolved

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
andrewed1
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region:: Sydney, Australia
Motorcycles:: XJ600 Seca II - 1992 & a 2nd 92 xj600s
Australia

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:41 am

ok guys my project bike is nearly ready and i wanted to ensure the motor runs OK prior to bolting the remaining items on.

So engines in, carbs cleaned, wiring hooked up, basically ready to go...

Filled will oil, placed in neutral, added fuel, and power (car battery/jumper leads) hit the starter and nothing. checked the solenoid was getting power = YES, checked the jumper connections = yes, tested again ....nothing.

I then bypass the battery P+ lead and placed it on the Solenoid P+ lead, the bike cranked over (good at least) this confirms the starter motor works, but did not catch.

I then checked the basics:
Connect jumpers to battery leads - power present
tested continuity clutch switch - this was a little iffy, so jumped the contacts with wire,
tested continuity Side stand switch = PASSED
tested continuity Neutral Switch working I think, well when i place it in neutral the neutral light illuminates on the dash

and tried again...still no go..

NOW I'm a little stumped when i press the starter the OIL light illuminates and no other action. I believed this was due to a faulty safety switch., however i have tested them.

What other items should i check? Because with power and all switches tested when i press the start button there is absolutely nothing more happening.

confused

Andrew
Ollyrag
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: Kent, UK
Motorcycles:: xj600N 1998
Great Britain

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:50 am

Check the Blue/White and Blue/Red connection at the relay, also check it where it goes into the harness, there is a joint in there that fails. Common fault.
corrosion.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's not how old you are, It's how you are old.
kk600cc
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: Liverpool UK
Motorcycles:: 2003 Yamaha BT1100 Bulldog
Great Britain

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:51 am

The only time I came across my old 600 not starting and just oil light illuminating. It turned out to be the diode in the main relay on mine. It would only start if side stand was up and clutch in even though both stand and clutch switches were ok, it was has if the bike thought it was in gear, once I changed the main relay all was fine then though it took me a fair bit of time to trace it to that. Mine was a 1999 model so may be different. After a break go back and check kill/clutch & stand switches once more and try again just in case there was a bad connection. I sure there will be more will be along with more knowledge than me to help you out good luck.
andrewed1
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Australia

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:56 am

Thanks Ollyrag this gave me a good starting point.
Ollyrag wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:50 am
Check the Blue/White and Blue/Red connection at the relay

I proceeded to check the Blue/White wire in the relay connector and in the main connector, a little bit or corrosion but not a lot for the age of the bike, cleaned up with some boiling water and a good spray of lithium grease for future protection.

So I double checked the continuity of all switches (clutch, side-stand & neutral) all working as should, tested all at the connector join points to rule out any wiring faults ALL Good.. and did not this about checking the solenoid as i was able to crank the engine from it the day before so i was sure i had a faulty switch or bad wiring somewhere.

While googling as i came across a very simple but easy to understand solenoid check article for a lawn mower, and found some very useful tips for checking. Since i have already doubled checked my safety switches this was the next point.

1st useful point
If your Starter does not spin when you turn/press the ignition , you need to test the solenoid..

2nd useful point (this i already new but handy if you did not)
The Solenoid is a small black box directly connected to the battery via a red wire (battery positive lead) you can trace this back to the solenoid

3rd useful point
Bridge the gap between both posts of the solenoid with a insulated screwdriver. If the starter motor spins when you make contact, the solenoid is bad; if the starter motor does not spin, the starter is bad...

mmmmmmm i thought... So i tested it. Bang ON starter spins, and I had a bad Solenoid. When i tested it the day before i did not bridge the posts I had just connected the jumper lead directly to the positive pole. of which bypassed the solenoid main function..

Swapped out the bad solenoid for a spare i had and now its cranking ...

Hope this helps someone else...
andrewed1
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Australia

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:03 am

Updated subject title
Vulcano39
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: Setubal
Motorcycles:: XJ600S Diversion 1994
Portugal

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:14 am

I had the same problem...and it was also Ollyrag who help me with it...lol...i thing it must be a common problem with this motorcycles riding in wet conditions....
Bikes owned:
Famel Foguete (1958) 50cc 1990
Famel 77 50cc (????)1991-1992
Moto Guzzi NTX 750 (1989)1997-1999
Yamaha XJ600S Diversion (1994) 2017-who knows...
Ollyrag
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: Kent, UK
Motorcycles:: xj600N 1998
Great Britain

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:27 am

Vulcano39 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:14 am
I had the same problem...and it was also Ollyrag who help me with it...lol...i thing it must be a common problem with this motorcycles riding in wet conditions....
Obrigado, yes it is a common fault.

See you are in Portugal, looking at driving down for a holiday.
It's not how old you are, It's how you are old.
Vulcano39
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: Setubal
Motorcycles:: XJ600S Diversion 1994
Portugal

Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:19 pm

You do that...it will be another hot summer this year...best months are march, may and June...april tends to be rainy (some years not all)...and july, august and now september and october tends to be very hot...july and august are very confusing because there are to many tourists.

best regards
Bikes owned:
Famel Foguete (1958) 50cc 1990
Famel 77 50cc (????)1991-1992
Moto Guzzi NTX 750 (1989)1997-1999
Yamaha XJ600S Diversion (1994) 2017-who knows...

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us