Creamy Oil Advice please.

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
Slawenm
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Outside US/CA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: GSX-R Xj600 Diversion

Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:20 pm

Howdy

So I bought an Xj600 that had sat for 10 years rescued the thing put it back onto the road I had to buy and replace lots of different parts.

I've personally put about 4000 or more miles on the bike now it runs and rides FINE HOWEVER

The problem I'm having is no matter what type of oil I'm putting into the bike within a few months I get a creamy build up, when I remove the oil filler cap is a nasty thick cream inside the clutch casing cover, I removed it to replace my clutch plates and thrust bearing/washer 3 months ago and the inside of the cover was caked in the stuff. I was running some cheap 10w40 semi oil.

I flushed the engine through with some new cheap fresh 10w40 oil put 8lt through it changed oil filter and put more expensive castrol 10w40 fully synthetic oil in that I have used on my GSXR for years with no issues.

So today I decide to top up my oil and upon removing oil filler cap I see the dreaded cream again now I know this is an issue with water and oil mixing together a friend told me its because the engine aint getting hot engine to burn off the water vapour inside the engine from the cold weather. No bike I have ever owned has had this sort of problem before. I'm assuming its something to do with that engine vent tubing going from top of the clutch cover housing into the bottom of the airbox as I noticed this has some creamy slime inside it too?

Okay I'm going on now I'm wondering if any other ridings have had this issue and if so is there a fix?

Oh and a quick edit because of this engine cream and me worrying bout it doing damage by blocking oil passages in 4000 miles its had FIVE oil and filters changes

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Helensburgh, Scotland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 XJ600N
Great Britain

Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:51 am

Whilst waiting on some of the more knowledgable forum members to respond, I have a similar issue with mine.

I've been told that, as most of my recent riding has been short distance commuting and I live in a (relatively) cool climate, any moisture in the oil/engine doesnt get burnt off as the engine doesnt ever get properly hot. I'm not sure if this ties in with the type of riding/climate where you are, but its an excuse for a good long ride to see if it helps :-)
Nelsonmd wrote: My 4runner on the other hand... I decided she needed to be a girl only because I spent so much time underneath/inside her, I didn't want to think of her as a dude...

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:18 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:51 am
Whilst waiting on some of the more knowledgable forum members to respond, I have a similar issue with mine.

I've been told that, as most of my recent riding has been short distance commuting and I live in a (relatively) cool climate, any moisture in the oil/engine doesnt get burnt off as the engine doesnt ever get properly hot. I'm not sure if this ties in with the type of riding/climate where you are, but its an excuse for a good long ride to see if it helps :-)
What he says ^^

Slawenm
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:55 am

Is it an Xj600 thing I've ridden in the worst of British winters for years on many a different 4 stroke bikes and I've never come across this issue before.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:18 pm

Slawenm wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:55 am
Is it an Xj600 thing I've ridden in the worst of British winters for years on many a different 4 stroke bikes and I've never come across this issue before.
Were those 4-stroke bikes water or air cooled? And have you checked your crankcase vent to verify it isn't blocked?

Slawenm
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:15 pm

Mostly watercooled this is my first multi cylinder bike thats been air cooled, I've mostly owned older sports bike but decided to get a more sensible bike to commute and and do my daily riding on.

The hose from the clutch cover is not blocked but it was all gunked up but I cleared that out and I changed the hose from the top of the valve covers last time I had airbox off so cannot see that being blocked.