Valve stem

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
sublemon
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: TN
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 XJ600

Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:15 pm

While searching all over the tire for a leak it turns out it's my valve stem leaking! I'm looking at replacing it, is this an item I can purchase from an auto place or something I need to order?
One of the problems has to do with the speed of light and the difficulties involved in trying to exceed it. You can't. Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.
-HHG

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:17 am

You can even get it at Walmart. Just go to the tire repair section in automotive (where the slime and other tire stuff is) and you will find them. I suspect you'll have to either break the bead or remove the tire to install it. It pushes through from the inside of the rim. They are cheap, too.

Jimbo
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: IL
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 Yamaha Seca II

Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:37 am

It may simply be the core of the valve that needs replacing. You do not have to remove the tire to repair. You will need to buy the cores (usually come in a pack of 4) and the little valve core tool (it has a forked end that grabs the core and you simply unscrew it out and screw back in a new core). Total cost is maybe $8. Simple 2 minute job that usually works.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us