Electronic tachometer (DSP SYS)

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
div
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: France
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600 Diversion S (97)
France

Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:15 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to wire an electronic speedometer bought on Amazon (brand : DSP SYS ?) :

Did anyone here have the same? I dig into the forum but didn't find anything apart an old post without any wiring information.
Also watched some youtube videos but didn't find the solution

My problem is with the tachometer, the others indicators are quite easy to wire. So if you can help me it would be great!
My project : '97 XJ600 S Rebirth

Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region or State: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:59 am

Typically aftermarket tachometers use a signal from either wrapping a spark plug wire or splicing into one of the wires going to the coil pack.

The directions should list which one it is, but I do not remember anyone else using that specific gauge at the moment.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

div
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
France

Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:19 pm

The directions are really brief.

The wire on the tachometer for the RPM must be the yellow/black. I already tried to connect it to the ignition unit, as that was the wiring with the original tachometer, and that was also a yellow/black wire (just to say i have a xj 600 from 97, it will be important for wire color) but got no activity on the tacho.

After reading and watching quite a lot of things on that tacho i think you're right with the wire going to the coil.
I would test that but i'm afraid to broke something if the voltage there is too high. And which wire?

There is maybe an alternative that worked on a FZS600 Fazer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc0HANdYbFI

here is the diagram of the solution :

it uses a resistance of 100K ohm 0.5 W and a capacitor of 10 nF 630V

But what is the CDI? Which wire on the diagram of the XJ?

Casper
Region or State: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:36 am

The signal wires to the coils (12 to 13, Gray or Orange) if you wanted to connect directly into the system or inductance through the sleeving for the spark plug wires (13 to 16).

I believe number 12 is the black box under the seat. The tach signal to the gauges (12 to 19) shouldn't be a pulse signal if I remember right, it should already be transformed to a usable voltage signal for the tach motor.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

div
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
France

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:08 am

Yes the 12 is the CDI and it's under the seat near the fuses, so i tryed with Orange and Grey and get nothing.
Also tried to wrap one wire around a spark plug but get nothing too.
I should have tried to plug between 13 and 16 but i failed as i blew a fuse while testing with my voltmeter :oops:
The bike is not at home so i'll try that next week. I'll also buy a resitor and capacitor to try the other method.

Thanks for the help

div
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
France

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:18 pm

Ok so the solution with the capacitor and the resistor gave nothing too, i'll try tomorrow to get the frequency that is on the CDI wire.
Like that maybe i can find the solution.

div
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
France

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:42 pm

Last update, i finally tried every wire from the CDI and i got a signal with the white/red one.
This one goes to the pick-up coil as described on the wiring diagram :

It's still not perfect, it displays 4 times the value of the real RPM

So does any of you know a little of electronic to convert the signal, to divide the value by 4 ?

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 am

The orange and grey signals are sine waves generated by the CDI box to trigger spark. Only a yamaha 4-cylinder tach will work with that signal unless you manage to find one with the same frequency as the Yamaha signal. I have it written somewhere, 2k something-or-other, a search should find it. Is that new tachometer inductive?

The tachometer signal, btw, is a combination of the grey, brown and black wire. As I recall, grey is signal, brown is 12V+ and black is ground.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us