Electrickery issues - help

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
buckinghamjf68
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Honda XL 125CC, XJ6 diversion

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:14 pm

Hi Guys,
I am having a few issues with the electrics. The bike is now at the point I'm trying to get it ready to start it for the first time. I put a new battery in it on Monday and turned the key.

The first thing i noticed was the green neutral like came on, and then went out. The headlight works, and I can switch between full beam, dipped beam and can use the flash feature on the left hand side switch gear. The rear light also works, but that's it.

I can't get the indicators, horn or brake neutral light on the dash still wont come on. I do however here a click from a relay when I first turn the key.

Thinking it was a connector, or a ground issue, I have done the follow.
  • I have checked the bulbs in the dashboard and they all work, so the neutral light issue is somewhere else.
    The loom is new, but I have gone round checking the connectors, and stripping and cleaning them
    I have removed the coils, and taken a grinder to the mount points, to clean up the grounds
    I have checked the cable to the negative.
    I taken a grinder the to ground point by the rectifier, and the one ground point on top of the starter motor.
Will continue to add findings as I stumble across them, but am I missing anything obvious?

Cheers in advance guys

buckinghamjf68
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Honda XL 125CC, XJ6 diversion

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:19 am

Hi,

Ok more things I have checked, I plugged in the multi-meter to the red and white wire in the connector to the RHS coils and got a reading of 12v, so looks like power is getting to the coils, I then hooked up the multi-meter to the coil itself and checked the primary winding. This gave me a fluctuating reading but was about 3.4 for both, then I started to get much higher readings when I checked again. When I came to checking the secondary winding I got an open circuit from both, which suggests both coils are dead and need to be replaced.

The way I checked these, was to put the negative in the bottom of the HT cable, and touch the positive to each of the connections on top of the coil. Just for completeness I checked the HT caps and got a reading of 43.5 off both, means there good. I then made a video, so someone much smarter than me can confirm, i tested them the right way, and assuming i did, i'll replace the coils with new.

Then its on to the next problem.

Regards

Jason

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us