Oil cooler pipe woes

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
etch
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Suffolk, UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 Yamaha XJ600 Diversion

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:12 pm

Okay, so I did an oil change today. 200miles since getting the bike on the road, figured I'd get rid of the sludge from the previous owner. Then I had a stupid idea:

Why not get rid of the rotten midsection of the oil cooler pipes at the same time?!

I copied some guy on the internet somewhere - hacksawed either side of the flexi, slapped some 10mm fuel line in and a jubilee clip at either end. Completed oil change, ran the bike for a bit and all looked good.

2 miles down the road my back brake stops working and the oil light comes on.

So... Anyone successfully done this? The only replacements on ebay are shabbier than the horrors I already sliced up.

predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Romania
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1998 Yamaha XJ600S

Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:03 am

Have you tried to replace jubilee clips with something more strong, like clips for pneumatic hose? https://www.hcl-clamping.co.uk/double-e ... ?quickview

I think that your problem are those clips. Try here. http://www.brammer.co.uk/hose_tubes_duc ... ucting.htm[/url]

Ollyrag
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Kent, UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: xj600N 1998
Great Britain

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:00 am

Hi mate,
Recently done my '98 N
Used 10mm I.D. Stainless braided hose, and 4 Stainless clips, bolt type not Jubilee.

Cut the rotten original swaged clips off, if possible dont destroy the swaged collars on the steel pipe.
Unbolt pipes from the cooler end, work the pipes / hoses off leaving the bottom sections connected to sump.

Cut 2 lengths of 110mm of your chosen hose, bit of grease to ease them on metal pipes so the clips can bite behind the swaged collars on the pipes.
Refit in reverse order as they say.
It's not how old you are, It's how you are old.

etch
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Suffolk, UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 Yamaha XJ600 Diversion

Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:14 am

Thanks for the replies!

It looks like I screwed up in a number of areas - first by hacking the middle out with a saw which cost me the original collar/lip, then by using the wrong clips and finally by using the wrong hose.

Rather than have the bike in pieces while I figure this out, I found a shorter union bolt for a few quid and finished the oil change. I'll take your advice and rebuild the hoses correctly, probably will have to braze a 10mm olive on to make a new lip.

Cheers!
'If you get stuck, always use your spanner muscle - strongest muscle in your body, that'un. Where's that, eh?' *taps forehead* 'Tis up 'ere, you plonker'

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us