Upgrade front brake and rear tyre

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
RPJ
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: The Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600s 1994 Type 4BR
Netherlands

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:58 am

Hello,

I wanted to upgrade my front brake (I have one disc) with a Bluespot brake caliper.

So I bought a brake caliper from a YZF600R 1998-200x and it fits perfectly, but there's one negative thing...the wheel can't turn because the caliper hits the spoke, as far as I searched I'm not the only one;
viewtopic.php?f=127&t=7774&p=76628&hili ... per#p76628

Now before I gamble to buy another one I want to know which will fits 1-on-1 with taking only the marks from the wheel as in;
[url]http://diversionclub.prob...-caliper-upgrade-bluespot[/url]

Who can tell me please?

Second question, which rear wheel do I have to buy to make it look better (wider) which fits 1-on-1?

Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region or State: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:28 am

Instead of replacing the caliper, have you thought about replacing the pads or master cylinder?

A good set of pads and a freshened rotor surface will provide very good braking.
A half inch master cylinder will also provide very good modulation on the brake lever.

The rear wheel question is the 4 inch wide, 18 inch diameter from the FZR600.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

RPJ
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Netherlands

Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:38 am

Casper wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:28 am
Instead of replacing the caliper, have you thought about replacing the pads or master cylinder?

A good set of pads and a freshened rotor surface will provide very good braking.
A half inch master cylinder will also provide very good modulation on the brake lever.

The rear wheel question is the 4 inch wide, 18 inch diameter from the FZR600.
Thank you for your reply, it's braking good but the caliper now is not looking very well. So that's one of the reasons to replace it.

Will the one from a R1 1998-2002 will fit, it looks different then from a yzf.

Casper

Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:22 am

They blue dots, silver dots and gold dots are all the same size and shape. The difference came between how they were manufactured and how they route the brake fluid.

The problem is that the rotor is too close to the wheel and uses a sliding caliper to fit that narrow area. I do not know of another sliding caliper that looks like the blue dots.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

RPJ
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Netherlands

Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:44 am

Casper wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:22 am
They blue dots, silver dots and gold dots are all the same size and shape. The difference came between how they were manufactured and how they route the brake fluid.

The problem is that the rotor is too close to the wheel and uses a sliding caliper to fit that narrow area. I do not know of another sliding caliper that looks like the blue dots.
Hi see;

http://diversionclub.prob...-caliper-upgrade-bluespot

Somebody confirmed me that there are 2 thicknesses of calipers, they one with the exterior route is the biggest.

Casper

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:42 am

I can't see that link, it was shortened with ellipses. Would you post it up again without the ellipses?

I own a set of conventional bluedots from an R6 and a set of conventional golddots from an R1. I can measure their width from of the mounting surface and their overall width if you would like. They won't fit the wheel as the rotor is mounted too close to the wheel spokes and the caliper mounts are moved in board to suit.

It might be possible to fabricate a caliper bracket to shift it outboard enough to clearance the spokes and then space the rotor outboard to suit.

RPJ
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Netherlands

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:25 am

Casper wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:42 am
I can't see that link, it was shortened with ellipses. Would you post it up again without the ellipses?

I own a set of conventional bluedots from an R6 and a set of conventional golddots from an R1. I can measure their width from of the mounting surface and their overall width if you would like. They won't fit the wheel as the rotor is mounted too close to the wheel spokes and the caliper mounts are moved in board to suit.

It might be possible to fabricate a caliper bracket to shift it outboard enough to clearance the spokes and then space the rotor outboard to suit.

Thanks for your answer

http://diversionclub.proboards.com/thre ... e-bluespot

If you would like to measure IT should be great!!

Look in this guy's Bottom textiel, R1 Bluespot...

Casper

Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:30 am

Very interesting points in that thread.

1) He spaced out the rotor using 1mm washers. (I assume using the same washers on the caliper. This also loses the lips which locate the rotor into a concentric pattern with the tire.)

2) He filed the cast markings on the wheel spokes.

I will measure up the calipers for you, can you take a few washers and try spacing the rotor / caliper away from the wheel to test the posting on the Diversion Club?

RPJ
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Netherlands

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:37 am

Casper wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:30 am
Very interesting points in that thread.

1) He spaced out the rotor using 1mm washers. (I assume using the same washers on the caliper. This also loses the lips which locate the rotor into a concentric pattern with the tire.)

2) He filed the cast markings on the wheel spokes.

I will measure up the calipers for you, can you take a few washers and try spacing the rotor / caliper away from the wheel to test the posting on the Diversion Club?

I think spacers were used between the brake disc and wheel to get it in the middle.

If you use spacers the caliper Comes more to the wheel...

RPJ
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Netherlands

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:50 am

Yessssss....I found the answer!!!!

http://diversionclub.proboards.com/thre ... sc-upgrade

Don't know if I want to do this....

Good mornign all! My first post here.

I was the proud recipient of a 1995 Diversion 600 last Thursday from a friend who's upgraded to an SM-T (lucky perisher) and gave! me his Diversion for having spannered (and no doubt for the forseable future too) on his bikes and cars over the years. Anyway, on of our ongoing plights has been getting the power we wanted from the front brake. We'd ended up wuith braided hose, rebuilt caliper and master cylinder and sintered pads, and it was respectable, and plenty for his city commuting. But I'm commuting 25 miles on dual cariageway with dopey morning drivers so wanted a bit more reserve.

I have sucessfully fitted an R1 blue-spot caliper! Yes, the one that doesn't fit, and from my reseach nobody has yet fitted. Actually it was remarkably easy, and had I had all the machinery I'd liek to hand, would have taken no time at all.

It's simple enough (provided nobody scolds my methods) of spacing the disc outwards 2mm (with thick washers, I know... ???) and removing ( :o yes it gets worse...) the same 2mm from the mating face of the caliper mounting points. I would use a Mill to do this next time, but for experimentation I bought a heavily scuffed caliper from the breakers for little hard-earned to try it out. I carefully filed down the caliper mounts, trial fitting to get the position central to the disc spacing, and once it all lined up the only remaining task is to file off the annoying casting marks on the wheel's spokes [/b]to give clearance to the rear of the caliper.

One other possibility due to manufacturing tolerances etc is to smoot down the inside face of the caliper (facing the spokes) to match the slight tapered angle of the spokes.

NOTE: I removed minimal material because I didn't want the disc spaced too far, but if the job were being done properly I'd have a floating disc (no doubt wavey if goign to the trouble) made with teh carrier spacing the disc out another mm (clearance from the spokes) and properly machine the caliper.

Finally, a set of sintered pads (the worn ones that came with the caliper, again shameful, but I'm experimenting remember... :-/) and a quick bleed (bubbles were out in 30s, I was amazed, that is a fantastic caliper!!!) and it was a test ride. Now the pads are bed down to the disc, I'm amazed at the stopping power! No need for twin discs, it's performing fantastically! And with the braided hose the stopping power is plenty!

Anyoen with questions etc let me know, and maybe we can get a few more single disc bikes safely stopping ;)

PS: I'm sure the mod could be mirrored on the other side for twin setups, if anyone needs to out-brake an R6 or something daft...

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93