Electric Fuel (Long Time No See.)

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
CaliCafeSeca
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: California
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '74 S1, GS500E, CBR1000rr, 14 Bolt, NS50, xj600

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:24 am

Have any of you guys successfully switched to a low pressure electric fuel pump? (I believe Detonation may have)
If so, which one did you get?

If you want the back story,

After another ~6 month stent sitting, I cleaned out the fuel system to fire it up, and found that the guy who did my tank, wasn't very careful and there was evidence of paint through and through, so that's how my cleaning went as well, petcock to piston. While I thank the maker of my filter, micro fragments had made it all the way to the carbs.
Of course I put her back together dry, and typically it will crank for a time before the gas gets there, except this time I cant seem to get it all the way there. There is some flow coming off the pump, but it's not getting there. Seeing how the youngest pumps are pushing 20 years old, I figure it's time to upgrade to a generic pump.

TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II
United States of America

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:54 am

There are still new vacuum pumps available, if you're interesting in staying with the current vacuum type of fuel pump. Mine is from Polaris, I believe. Here's the link to the posting, A Cheaper Alternative to the Stock Fuel Pump (Polaris Pump).

Have you tried just using the prime option on the fuel petcock? As that should allow fuel to run to the carbs without the fuel pump being needed, providing you're not low on fuel.
Tony
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

CaliCafeSeca
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: California
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '74 S1, GS500E, CBR1000rr, 14 Bolt, NS50, xj600

Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:03 pm

Yeah, and thanks for the link. The petcock is flowing, but I'm afraid the pump is too gummed up. I'm going to take a swim and pull the old pump back out and maybe apart in a few, but since I am likely to mothball the bike again and again, I'm thinking electric pump to feed the dry carbs, as long as someone has had one in for a couple years.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us