XJ600N 1999 Windshield

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
alexxj600
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Scotland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha XJ600N 1999
Germany

Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:19 am

Hi all,

As my XJ600 is the naked version, I'm sure you can all imagine, that a ride on the Motorway at 80 odd miles an hour is not very comfortable. I've got the quietest helmet I could find (Schuberth) and I do own earplugs, but I always forget to take them with me... As it's also physically straining to have to fight the wind all the time, not to mention getting soaked even through my "waterproof" clothing (there is no escaping either wind or rain in Scotland, as the weather can change completely within 5 minutes!), I decided to get a windshield. Now I really like the look of my bike, so I don't want the faired original version, but rather one I can fit around my current headlight.
I looked mainly at the Puig ones, but not entirely sure about the model. I'm relatively tall (5'9") and so would prefer a taller screen as well. Does anyone have any experience with these windshields on a naked bike? Also, any other riders in Scotland know how bad it gets with midges during the summer, as I don't want to have to get off the bike every 20 minutes to clean the windshield...?

All advice appreciated!

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Helensburgh, Scotland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 XJ600N
Great Britain

Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:21 pm

My experience of screens hasnt been great to be honest, they generally seem to just focus the air at my head (with the exception of my dads 1150GSA that had a screen like a barn door). I've tried a few different screens on a few different bikes but actually prefer a naked bike!

I can sit at 80mph in reasonable comfort (within the tank range anyway) and almost rely on the false sense of speed to help me keep my licence!

And as for the murderous west-Scotland midge, you'll normally find that you look over a screen rather than through it so they won't restrict your vision. Your visor is another matter...
Nelsonmd wrote: My 4runner on the other hand... I decided she needed to be a girl only because I spent so much time underneath/inside her, I didn't want to think of her as a dude...

jaszczomb
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Łódź, Poland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: xj 600s '99

Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:39 am

I did naked convertion, and really don't see much difference in comfort at highway speeds with or without windscreen (you can see which one I have on my project thread). I basically was using it only to hide my speedo and wiring.

alexxj600
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Scotland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha XJ600N 1999
Germany

Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:27 am

Hmm, not very good news. I'm planning a longer trip soon (Scotland to Germany) and was hoping to escape the biting October winds behind a screen... I might just have to try one though, as I really don't want another ride like one I did to Aberdeen a few weeks back. That was a lot of work, just to hold onto my handlebars at 80 mph, but then it was scottish winds, so Germany might be more forgiving...

etch
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Suffolk, UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 Yamaha XJ600 Diversion

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:03 pm

If you are still toying with this, you might roll your own quite cheaply. Buy a sheet of 4mm perspex/polycarb and bake it in the oven on a sheet of hardboard until it goes wibbly, then drape mould it over some stuff - I used a toy box with a pair of poles in a V shape. Not happy? Chuck it back in the oven to flatten it and try again. When you are happy with the bulge, mark the shape with a sharpie and cut with a jigsaw. Took me about an hour, and was quite a lot of fun.
'If you get stuck, always use your spanner muscle - strongest muscle in your body, that'un. Where's that, eh?' *taps forehead* 'Tis up 'ere, you plonker'

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93