Identifying a clicking noise - starter relay?

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

Howdy chaps

Been a long, long time since the XJ saw the light of day (a mixture of work, running and mountain biking and a lack of enthusiasm combined). However a mate is due his test in a couple of weeks and is all excited about biking in general and its rubbed off on me, so today I freed off the brakes and wheeled the old girl out.

It hasnt been touched since Easter, however a couple of hours on charge and (after a few cranks with the petcock to prime) she fired right up, and fairly quickly settled down to a happy burble :-)

What I did notice though was a continuous clicking noise while the engine is running. Having had problems with starter motors before it sounds very similar to the starter-relay-click that you can get with a goosed starter motor.

Is it possible that the relay is remaining engaged and clicking while the engine is running? I tried to record it but you couldnt hear it on the video. It might benefit from a few laps of the block to run it properly but without an MOT I'm reluctant to ride it anywhere!

The main thing is it runs though, just need to sort the brakes out and either clean or replace the chain, and it should be good to go!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login