Oil leak loose pipe?

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
Divvy-Yam-rider
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Kent
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Xj600s Divvy 1996 and a Sr125

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:38 pm

Hi everyone, I passed my test yesterday and can finally ride my xj! Used it to get to work today but later on realised the engine had some oil on it( I thought it was petrol at first) anyway on inspecting, I noticed there's a pipe with a clip on it between the carbs that's not connected to anything does anyone know what this should be connected to? The pope is in the middle of the 4 carbs by what looks like a adjustment screw? Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: London
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600S

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:02 pm

I can't see clearly from your picture, but there are two carb top vents (one is in between carbs 1 & 2, and another between 3 & 4 I think) . You leave them clear and don't connect them to anything.

There are lots of adjustment screws in and around the carbs that are left alone unless you're balancing the carbs or resetting the mixture individually on each carb.

Congratulations on passing your test! The fun begins!
A record of maintenance items carried out on my bike:
https://crimsonxj.wordpress.com/

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:38 pm

Could also be the airbox drain hose. Could you get a shot backed-up a bit so we can see its relationship on the bike?

Divvy-Yam-rider
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:05 pm

Thanks, I'll take a picture and upload it tommrow

Divvy-Yam-rider
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:14 am

Here's the other pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:43 am

Still can't see it, sorry. Could you remove the tank and take another picture, showing where it leads?

I can think of three things it could be, that would allow the bike to run normally with the pipe venting to the outside air like that (ruling out the crankcase breather hose as it's a much wider pipe): carb top vent/overflow, or incorrectly routed petrol tank overflow pipe, or valve cover breather hose.

I'm not 100% sure of the function of the last item. However, on UK-spec bikes and not US-spec, there is a breather going from one of the valve cover nuts (which is hollow) to the bottom of the air box. Its presence doesn't make a lot of sense to me. However, it doesn't matter. If it's any of these things, it won't really matter. But I won't be able to tell you what it is without a better picture, with the tank removed.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:36 am

I think it might be a float bowl vent tube. UK guys; do the UK carbs have an emissions carbon canister? The US bikes vent to atmosphere.

Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:39 am

The tiny little vents on the underside of the float bowls on my 1995 UK bike's carbs vent to atmosphere.

However, there is something vaguely interesting about the 2 big vents at the top side of the carbs (one between 1&2, and the other between 3&4 IIRC). That is, when I bought the bike in April, two 10/12mm hoses were attached to them, venting to air. They were about 4 or 5 inches long. However, they had been cut off, or should I say hacked, very roughly. As if by a scissors made of plastic lol. The factory hadn't cut them so shoddily. My guess is that something may have been attached to them originally. However, I'm not sure of it. They may have simply been shortened. UK emissions laws at the time were nowhere near as strict as they are now.

I just ripped them off and discarded them as they were clearly the originals, they were very worn and cracked through, had half fallen off, and just vented to air anyway. I may do the same with the Y-shaped thin hoses connected with the float bowl drain screws, as they serve no useful purpose.

The one interesting feature about the UK version is that there is a vent/breather hose going from the bottom of the airbox, where some oil from the crankcase breather would eventually be deposited, positioned in such a way that it would run down with the force of gravity, leading directly to the top of the valve cover. This seems to suggest an attempt to recycle lost oil rather than an emissions measure, but I'm not sure. I may just semi-blank it off with an oil-catching filter.

Divvy-Yam-rider
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:23 pm

Thanks for the replY I probably won't have a chance to take the tank off this weekend but I'll have to try and do it soon, the bike is running perfectly so it does not appear to be an issue, it's just annoying when it was clean 😂. I'm wondering if it is slightly overfilled with oil so if it is some form of breather I'm guessing that may explain it. When I get round to taking it off I'll post some more pictures, it's a interesting read one the less, it's nice that people notice the little details on motorcycles even if they do appear to be a Nucence at times!

Divvy-Yam-rider
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:17 pm

Hi guys sorry for the slow reply, it haven’t leaked for a long time so I’m assuming it was a overflow pipe, thanks for the help

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93