Centerstand spring install

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
cicatriz63
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: PA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 XJ600S

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:42 pm

So I picked up centerstand off of eBay and it finally came today all the way from Germany. Thought it would be a quick install but boy was I wrong. I cannot for the life of me get the spring hooked up. Is there a trick to it? Even using something for leverage the spring barely moves. I feel like there has to be an easier way.

TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II
United States of America

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:49 pm

There's several tricks and most are listed on our site, but one that I used was to bend the spring so that one coil opens up somewhat and then put a quarter in the spring coil, after putting in several that stretched it out enough to easily attach both ends. Then you extend the centerstand and all the quarters fall out.
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

cicatriz63
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:21 pm

Tried searching but I guess I was frustrated and didn't look hard enough. I will try the coin trick later!

cicatriz63
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:29 pm

Well I was finally able to get the damn thing on using a combination of quarters and some elbow grease. Anyone know what the torque should be on the bolts? I don't see it listed anywhere.