Recommended maintenance/mod - headrace bearings

All the work you do in the workshop. Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, customizing, etc.
XJLiverpool
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Northwest, Liverpool, UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Yamaha XJ600S (seca II)

Re: Recommended maintenance/mod - headrace bearings

Post by XJLiverpool » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:09 pm

Crimson wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:57 pm
The inner part of the top bearing should turn if you put your fingers inside, but the outer part of the top bearing should just rest in the bearing cup.
The inner part of the lower bearing should remain still, and locked with the steering column, but the outer part of the lower bearing should turn freely with the hand.
Sorry to bother you again Crimson, one last question... does the washer go on before the upper race (so it sits under the bearings or on top?

Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: London
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600S

Post by Crimson » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:14 pm

I can't remember anything of washers around the top bearing. What I recall of washers is this:

There is a big washer between the bottom bearing and the lower yoke, which is the one that probably came with the tapered bearing kit.
There is a smaller all-rubber washer that sits on top of the bottom bearing. I reused that one.
There is a washer in between the top bearing locking nuts.

The copper/brass washer that goes with the upper bearing is meant to be at the bottom (i.e. the tapered end of the bearing unit), I think. The purpose is to stop grease coming out, without interfering with the rotation of the bearing. I may have omitted that washer. Sorry, but that's all I remember.
A record of maintenance items carried out on my bike:
https://crimsonxj.wordpress.com/

XJLiverpool
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Northwest, Liverpool, UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Yamaha XJ600S (seca II)

Post by XJLiverpool » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:49 pm

Crimson!
She's finally complete!
There's still a steering wobble but im starting to think the wheel isn't balanced correctly.
But she isn't as bad and sluggish to move anymore. So happy! Can't thank you enough for sticking with me and helping me out! Thanks man!

Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: London
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600S

Post by Crimson » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:42 pm

Congratulations!
You'll find the bike handles much better now. Perhaps you need a new front tyre. My BT45 looked good to the naked eye, but when you looked close, there were bulges (not in the wall but in the tread) - sort of like large knobblies. I noticed it didn't feel right under hard braking using just the front brake, so I changed it.
A record of maintenance items carried out on my bike:
https://crimsonxj.wordpress.com/