Another possible RR problem

All the work you do in the workshop. Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, customizing, etc.
AlecJ
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: South Africa
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 XJ600N, TTR125S

Another possible RR problem

Post by AlecJ » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:14 am

I was unsure if i should dig an old thread or make new one. If I should continue on old thread delete this one please.

Here is a little background. on Sunday I went to Riemvasmaak, a little place in the mountains, the road is BAD corrugated lots of deep loose gravel if you do not concentrate you will end up on the ground. naturally with the 120km of that bad shaking things can get loose.

On my way back I had a flat, I fixed that after struggling to get tools to fix it. I ended up riding in the dark. after a little more than an hour, if I flicked from bright to dim lights the bike would stumble and go again. not long after that bike died, drained battery. Long story short, battery did not charge and I was stranded, lucky a guy took me home where I got my extra truck battery fitted it in my topbox and rode home like an idiot with jumpers from topbox.

At home I checked battery voltage it was 4.4V :o

Started bike to check if it charges and NO! popped that battery on charge and the next day back in. checked charging and NO!

Now I had no clue how to look for the problem so google and Youtube :clap:

I started with stator continuity 100% next up Rectifier-regulator. took it of and checked continuity and resistance and it seems ok not same readings but no dead diodes (as I understand help me if I am wrong).

I plugged the RR back and battery charges again. My guess is the RR needs replacing? I found a RR local but the xj is not listed but it looks exactly the same.

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcycle- ... 0000682809

Listed:
Yamaha FZR601994-1995
Yamaha V-STAR XVS400 DS400 1996-2008
Yamaha YZF R6 1997-2002
Yamaha YZF R1 1999-2001
Yamaha YZF600 1996-2005
Yamaha XP500 T-MAX500 2001-2006
Yamaha TDM850 4TX TDM 850 1996-2001
Yamaha FZ6 FZ6N FZ6S 2004-2009
Yamaha YZF R6 2003-2005 03 04 05

I can buy off ebay but the wait is so long local is max 1 day.

Should I replace RR? will this one work on the XJ? Any advice? I just do not want to end up stranded because of a silly thing like that.
I ride solo

RainslayerX
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: The Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600 DIV 92

Re: Another possible RR problem

Post by RainslayerX » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:23 am

Sounds exactly like the issue i had, that model is also suitable for your XJ only be carefull. Some are cheap knock offs and break within a month. Happend to my bike. Got stranded with a dead battery luckilly only a block from home.

AlecJ
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Post by AlecJ » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:26 am

RainslayerX wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:23 am
Sounds exactly like the issue i had, that model is also suitable for your XJ only be carefull. Some are cheap knock offs and break within a month. Happend to my bike. Got stranded with a dead battery luckilly only a block from home.
How can I tell If it is a good or a bad RR? mine has no markings or label on? I can not go on price as exactly the same code item on ebay the first 3 items are germany, germany, hong kong with prices of 105EUR, 26EUR then 15 GBP!

who says that the most expensive is not just markup from the same thing bought in hong kong!
I ride solo

Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: London
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600S

Post by Crimson » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:17 am

You just can't tell with things like that. It's the luck of the draw. If you're lucky, the cheap reg rec will be made in the same factory where the branded/licensed part is made under licence, and will have the same sort of quality, or even be the exact same thing, for a tiny fraction of the usual price. If you're unlucky, it will be made somewhere else on the extremely cheap, by an entrepreneur who figured out it's just a few cheap discrete components. The fake part will look right, but the fly-by-night Ebay guy will use improper materials that melt, for example, and the RR may not last even last a week. You just don't know until you've tried it. Nothing to reassure any of us in Chinese production/manufacturing practices, unfortunately. There is a lot of fraud/fakery and dishonesty and no guarantee of QC.

Regarding the RR, you can test it for continuity using a multimeter using online instructions. I was happy with this:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Test-a-R ... 231/g.html

There are a number of reasons a RR may stop working and then appear to start again. For example, temperature. Like coils which may fail at a higher temperature, a RR might behave differently and fail at a higher temperature too, and may recover when it cools. Alternatively, a loose or improperly hooked up ground may be making an intermittent earth connection (I had that problem). Screw it in elbow-tight (very tight).

AlecJ
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Post by AlecJ » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:24 am

Crimson wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:17 am
You just can't tell with things like that. It's the luck of the draw. If you're lucky, the cheap reg rec will be made in the same factory where the branded/licensed part is made under licence, and will have the same sort of quality, or even be the exact same thing, for a tiny fraction of the usual price. If you're unlucky, it will be made somewhere else on the extremely cheap, by an entrepreneur who figured out it's just a few cheap discrete components. The fake part will look right, but the fly-by-night Ebay guy will use improper materials that melt, for example, and the RR may not last even last a week. You just don't know until you've tried it. Nothing to reassure any of us in Chinese production/manufacturing practices, unfortunately. There is a lot of fraud/fakery and dishonesty and no guarantee of QC.

Regarding the RR, you can test it for continuity using a multimeter using online instructions. I was happy with this:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Test-a-R ... 231/g.html

There are a number of reasons a RR may stop working and then appear to start again. For example, temperature. Like coils which may fail at a higher temperature, a RR might behave differently and fail at a higher temperature too, and may recover when it cools. Alternatively, a loose or improperly hooked up ground may be making an intermittent earth connection (I had that problem). Screw it in elbow-tight (very tight).

I did test it with multi meter and the readings were between 450 and 900 on diodes where they should be the same more or less? well I will then take the chance to buy the one here.
I ride solo