Another possible RR problem

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
AlecJ
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

I was unsure if i should dig an old thread or make new one. If I should continue on old thread delete this one please.

Here is a little background. on Sunday I went to Riemvasmaak, a little place in the mountains, the road is BAD corrugated lots of deep loose gravel if you do not concentrate you will end up on the ground. naturally with the 120km of that bad shaking things can get loose.

On my way back I had a flat, I fixed that after struggling to get tools to fix it. I ended up riding in the dark. after a little more than an hour, if I flicked from bright to dim lights the bike would stumble and go again. not long after that bike died, drained battery. Long story short, battery did not charge and I was stranded, lucky a guy took me home where I got my extra truck battery fitted it in my topbox and rode home like an idiot with jumpers from topbox.

At home I checked battery voltage it was 4.4V :o

Started bike to check if it charges and NO! popped that battery on charge and the next day back in. checked charging and NO!

Now I had no clue how to look for the problem so google and Youtube :clap:

I started with stator continuity 100% next up Rectifier-regulator. took it of and checked continuity and resistance and it seems ok not same readings but no dead diodes (as I understand help me if I am wrong).

I plugged the RR back and battery charges again. My guess is the RR needs replacing? I found a RR local but the xj is not listed but it looks exactly the same.

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcycle- ... 0000682809

Listed:
Yamaha FZR601994-1995
Yamaha V-STAR XVS400 DS400 1996-2008
Yamaha YZF R6 1997-2002
Yamaha YZF R1 1999-2001
Yamaha YZF600 1996-2005
Yamaha XP500 T-MAX500 2001-2006
Yamaha TDM850 4TX TDM 850 1996-2001
Yamaha FZ6 FZ6N FZ6S 2004-2009
Yamaha YZF R6 2003-2005 03 04 05

I can buy off ebay but the wait is so long local is max 1 day.

Should I replace RR? will this one work on the XJ? Any advice? I just do not want to end up stranded because of a silly thing like that.
I ride solo

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login