Starts without choke

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
AshleyMarshall
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: York
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600 S

Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:55 am

Hi,

So recently i have had trouble starting the bike with the choke on full, the outside temp is about 20 degrees centigrade, and it takes about 10 seconds of cranking until it will fire with choke.

However the bike will start with no effort without choke on...

Is the bike running lean? or is the outside temp just high enough that the bike doesn't need the choke and its causing hard starting ?

Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: London
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600S

Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:25 am

I still use the choke to start my bike, and the outside temperature has been up to 30 degrees C here. I don't know if it would start without choke, but it would need a long time to turn over, and lots of throttle, probably, if it did. My bike starts up, with choke, on the button. A fraction of a second of cranking.

I think something is wrong with your bike. It could be running rich, or have an electrical problem, or be in need of proper servicing. I would start by testing to check you have spark (on every plug), then checking that the air filter isn't full of oil and dirt, and that it's breathing cleanly. If it isn't electrics and it's breathing normally, you could try going back and just giving it a good service. There's no doubt that my bike started starting more quickly after I set the valve clearances, and started working really well and smoothly once I had cleaned the carbs, balanced them and reset mixtures screws to two turns out. Even fresh oil had an effect.
A record of maintenance items carried out on my bike:
https://crimsonxj.wordpress.com/

AshleyMarshall
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:43 am

Sorted this issue, i had found that the spark plug weren't correctly tourqed up, so tried it this morn and fired right away

Ash

Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: London
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600S

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:41 pm

Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for the info. Interesting to know it could have that effect.
A record of maintenance items carried out on my bike:
https://crimsonxj.wordpress.com/

AshleyMarshall
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:36 pm

Ok so this issue has come back again, the bike takes a good 10 seconds of cranking with choke on full until it will fire. However will always start right away without choke?

I have noticed that when the bike was parked in my parents garage over night it would need choke to start, but when park outside under the cover often in direct sunlight. Using the choke just causes hard starting? We have had some really warm weather lately in the UK, so am a right in thinking that by the time i go to start the bike, (usually late afternoon) it just doesnt want to be choked because the engine is sufficiently warm from the sun? And by using the choke its just flooding the engine with super rich fuel?

Ash

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:39 pm

AshleyMarshall wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:36 pm
Ok so this issue has come back again, the bike takes a good 10 seconds of cranking with choke on full until it will fire. However will always start right away without choke?

I have noticed that when the bike was parked in my parents garage over night it would need choke to start, but when park outside under the cover often in direct sunlight. Using the choke just causes hard starting? We have had some really warm weather lately in the UK, so am a right in thinking that by the time i go to start the bike, (usually late afternoon) it just doesnt want to be choked because the engine is sufficiently warm from the sun? And by using the choke its just flooding the engine with super rich fuel?

Ash
I'm not surprised. Unless they are leaking tons of compression or you are having grounding problems, torquing spark plugs wont' do much for you.

How does the bike run, otherwise? Hard starting with the choke on tells me you're running rich. If it starts fine without it and its running fine throughout the rpm band, I wouldn't give it much more thought.

HowDoICarbs
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Arizona
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Seca II

Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:36 am

I always use my choke to start my bike, despite the fact that it's a constant 100F here maybe more everyday it really is better. I open the choke all the way and I give it a little throttle, (not alot just a little bit) these bikes are very easy to flood with to much throttle and choke open but just a little throttle and hold the start button and usually comes right to life In 1 - 2 seconds. But then again I'm running super rich so there is always an abundance of fuel. And like radare said if she drives fine then I wouldnt worry. Because you know what they say. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto