Euro carbs in USA?

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
johnny ro
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: NH USA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: wee strom K6, srx250, XJ600s

Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:25 am

I have a feeling I will be happier if I can clean and adjust a carb-set while my 1994 US version runs, meaning a spare set on the bench for rainy days.
I see nice looking Euro sets on Ebay.

1- They have electric connection dangling from right bowl. What is it and can ignore?

2- Their jetting is not EPA compliant = runs better? Richer in middle cylinders? Shold plan on keeping this?

3- Anything else to worry about?

Thanks all

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:35 pm

Non EPA compliant does not correlate to running better. Reduced emissions do not rob a bike of power. Wive's tale that should be forgotten. I think we all like to breathe clean, carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides and unburned hydrocarbons. At least, I do .

That being said, I'd recommend sticking with the US carbs. The European carbs are larger (28mm vs 26mm), have different connections (cable mounted choke, oil heaters, throttle position sensor) and are jetted differently. You'll be opening yourself a can of worms.

mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n
Great Britain

Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:30 pm

If you did still want to experiment with "Euro Carbs"... I'm pretty sure Canadian Carbs are the same as Euro Carbs.... If you could find a set on Canadian Ebay the shipping would be Cheaper :ponder:

johnny ro
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: NH USA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: wee strom K6, srx250, XJ600s

Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:45 pm

I am in favor of emissions being less bad but also in favor of an engine running well.

Hence tampered with air screws, which is both illegal and highly advisable. I note, I did not learn from Radar on that, 2.5 turns is widely shared for EPA complaint (spelling intentional) carbs which are simply eyeball/finger tuned, without use of cylinder specific sensors.

I will avoid Euro to avoid lengthy mods to get them to work on a US bike.

I am likely to strip the bike after the warm season in New England, USA.

For now with idle raised a bit it runs OK after long warmup on the road. Slight hunting at less than 1/2 throttle.

Thanks all

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto