Please help with blinkers.

All the work you do in the workshop. Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, customizing, etc.
Hicksbarry94
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Georgia
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Yamaha xj600

Please help with blinkers.

Post by Hicksbarry94 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:41 pm

Ok guys I need help with my blinkers. I removed my stock ones and installed led ones and now my blinkers are not working. When I turn then on it clicks like 1 time and they faintly stay on. What do I need to do?

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II

Re: Please help with blinkers.

Post by radare » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:38 pm

The original turn signals used incandescent bulbs. These bulbs draw enough power to heat up an element within the signal relay, causing it to warp. When it warps, it disconnects, resulting in the lights going off. When that happens, it cools and reconnects, causing the lights to come on. That's how it blinks; a hot-cold cycle of that small element.

Your LED bulbs do not draw enough power to allow that to work. The element never heats up enough and does not cycle. You'll need either load resistors at each light (these cause power draw similar to the original incandescent bulbs) or you'll need to find and install an electronic relay which works on a timer and not on the thermal element. The latter is probably the better solution if you are hoping to reduce electrical load.

pufferfis
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Singapore
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 Yamaha Seca 2,05 Suzuki GSF650,07 Raider150

Post by pufferfis » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:25 pm

Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: London
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600S

Post by Crimson » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:58 pm

A replacement relay that works for LEDs, as has been suggested, is the perfect solution. But you could also try playing around and seeing which value resistors in line with your new indicators give you the best results. That's the solution I would favour, even if it isn't the perfect one, because (1) they're very cheap, and I already have thousands of them laying around; (2) indicators don't stay on for longer than about a minute at most.