Haynes service intervals

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: London
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600S

Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:47 pm

I was wondering, what are you guys' thoughts on Haynes service intervals? There are two items in the Haynes manual that surprise me and which I don't trust at all:

1) Change oil and oil filter every 8000 miles or every 12 months.
2) Check valve clearances every 16000 miles or every 2 years.

:lolno:

These intervals seem crazy long to me.. My Diversion has racked up nearly 46000 miles. I figured I would replace the oil every 1000 or 1500 miles, and check the valve clearances at the same time. All the other items I check fairly regularly anyway.

Are my intervals too short and am I being obsessive? Does 1000-1500 seem too short to you? To be honest I can't imagine anyone waiting to rack up 8000 more miles before changing their oil and filter, and I do expect the valve clearances to have shortened a little after every couple of thousand miles.

As an air-cooled bike that gets really hot, tremendous stresses are placed on the oil, which also has a cooling and cleaning function inside the engine, on top of its duties lubricating the engine and transmission. I just don't get how you could wait 8000 miles. lol
How often do you change your oil and oil filter?
A record of maintenance items carried out on my bike:
https://crimsonxj.wordpress.com/

AlecJ
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: South Africa
Motorcycles Owned Currently: yamaha FZS1000
South Africa

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:47 pm

I do oil and filter change every 5000km(3100miles) and valve clearance I have not done myself.
doing it every 1000 miles means to me I have to change oil once a month or every 2 months and that is way to quick for me but if you only ride weekends it makes sense
I ride solo

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:18 am

I change mine once a season regardless of mileage and usually in the spring.

kk600cc
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Liverpool UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 2003 Yamaha BT1100 Bulldog
Great Britain

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:35 am

I change filter every season and oil twice now, don't do the mileage I once did (17,000 down to 3,000 per year) so I think it is more important with the uk climate and our air cooled engine if bike sat for awhile and moisture build up in oil more so if it only gets a few short runs. I use unbranded oil and change regular when I was doing higher mileage a few years back I changed it once a month.

Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:33 am

Thanks for the information guys. I could easily do 1000 miles every 1 or 2 months, and an average journey for me is about 55 miles or a little more, so a 1000-mile interval is probably too short.
I'm running 100% mineral oil (I have a source of inexpensive branded motorcycle 15W40 mineral oil) so I should probably change oil and filter more regularly, but 1000-1500 miles might be overdoing it. In the light of what you're saying and common practice, I think I'll adopt 2000-2500 miles, or end of every season (whichever is shorter) as my oil and oil filter change interval.

TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II
United States of America

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:15 am

Crimson wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:47 pm
I was wondering, what are you guys' thoughts on Haynes service intervals? There are two items in the Haynes manual that surprise me and which I don't trust at all:

1) Change oil and oil filter every 8000 miles or every 12 months.
2) Check valve clearances every 16000 miles or every 2 years.
Well, I'm wondering if you missed the earlier part of the Maintenance Schedule? In the lower left hand side of the page. Where it says "Every 4000 miles (6000 km) or 6 months" Change the engine/transmission oil in Section 2. At least that what it says in my copy of the Haynes manual.

I change my bike's oil (Mobil 1 10w40 full syn) every 4000 miles or sometimes depending on my time/schedule I'll go a little longer. I talked with the guys at Mobil 1 and they said using that oil I could go up to 7000 mile OCI (Oil Change Intervals) if I wanted.

I also check and adjust if needed, the valve clearances every 16k miles (24000 km) or two years as specified.

When in doubt, don't guess, go by the service manual.
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:26 am

TonyKZ1 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:15 am
Well, I'm wondering if you missed the earlier part of the Maintenance Schedule? In the lower left hand side of the page. Where it says "Every 4000 miles (6000 km) or 6 months" Change the engine/transmission oil in Section 2. At least that what it says in my copy of the Haynes manual.
Thanks for the heads-up. I just checked again, and yes you're right. At 1-18, it says change the oil and filter every 8000 miles. However, earlier on in the same chapter it says change the oil every 4000 miles and the oil filter every 8000 miles. I take this to mean that the oil filter isn't changed with every oil change, but with every alternate one.

4000 miles is quite a bit longer than I would like, as I frequently use the high rev range, and I'm running 100% mineral oil, which breaks down sooner and is dirtier. I think every 2000 miles is probably prudent in my case. It can only be good for the engine.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects: