Weird speedometer problem

All the work you do in the workshop. Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, customizing, etc.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II

Re: Weird speedometer problem

Post by radare » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:52 am

I've had good luck with used speedometer drives. They're quite simple and easy to disassemble and rebuild. Look for one on eBay and rebuild it.

Do you know why yours failed? It's not a common pain point for the XJ.

webman94
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: arizona
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha Seca II

Post by webman94 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:42 pm

radare wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:52 am
I've had good luck with used speedometer drives. They're quite simple and easy to disassemble and rebuild. Look for one on eBay and rebuild it.

Do you know why yours failed? It's not a common pain point for the XJ.
How do you rebuild it? I have an older one sitting on my workbench, that I don't think works, either. No idea why it failed; everything looked exactly like the photos I've seen in the manual when I took the unit off. I was just riding along at about 45mph, and the needle suddenly dropped to zero. I inserted the speedometer cable into the speedometer, and spun it in my cordless drill, and the needle moved quite readily. Clearly, the problem is at the other end.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II

Post by radare » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:53 am

There is a circlip that holds the guts inside the housing. Pop it out with a screwdriver. Once that's done, there's a thrust washer followed by a big steel gear. Those just slide out. I think there's another thrust washer after that (its been a while).

Once those are out, you'll be able to see your worm gear for the drive. Soak the whole thing in degreaser to clean out all the muck and inspect that work gear. If it's not damaged, then check the cable side of it to see if its still square. If both of those are still in good shape, put the cleaned parts back together and rotate the steal gear. It should turn the worm gear. If not, yeah, it's dead (the worm gear is nylon and not replaceable). If it turns, repaint it with some nice flat black paint, repack it with axle grease and reinstall.

One question as I think about it; what condition is the metal drive prong in? This is the stamped steel piece that sits in the wheel, just behind the seal, and actually turns the speedometer. If it's wonky, the speedometer won't work.

webman94
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: arizona
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha Seca II

Post by webman94 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:11 pm

Thanks, radare! I'll take a look at the old drive. The metal drive prong looked brand new when I pulled the wheel, but when I take it apart again, I'll shoot a photo and upload it here, in case there's something I've missed.