Starting issues with Yamaha XJ600 1989

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
taavikaarid
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Hi there,

I have an oldrunner Yamaha XJ600 (build year 1989) 51J. It has been running well but started to make trouble a month ago. The starter (notably when cold, usually not when warm) just turns the engine around for a few rounds and then stops with a noticeable click (not sure if this sound comes directly from the starter or somewhere else). This recurs when pressing starter button. The green gear light goes off as well when pressing the button and comes back after releasing it, the red oil indicator is dead all the way. Kill switch appears to make things a bit better when turning off and back on. After trying to start for 5-6 times (pressing starter button and turning kill switch on and off), the starter turns a bit more and more and eventually is able to start the engine. After that it runs well and does not do the trouble when restarting (warm). Leaving it for a night will end up in the same cycle.

Any suggestions? The battery is charged. Just wanted to check if anyone has had similar problems and can direct me a bit before I dismount anything.

Thanks,
Yamaha XJ600 51J

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login