Exhaust removal

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: London
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600S

Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:01 am

Is there something difficult about removing the exhaust on the XJ600S? I need to remove the exhaust to fix a seized sump plug bolt (it's an aftermarket Nexxus 4-into-1 exhaust and access to this bolt is inadequate to carry out any remedial measures, as it's at an angle whether using a socket or a normal spanner). The previous owner of this bike said he fitted this exhaust, and found it monumentally difficult. However, I don't see what the problem would be... Perhaps he just wasn't good with bikes, which is why the valve clearances and carb mixtures were out, and the clutch was slipping.. Isn't it just an easy job of unbolting it, pulling the downpipes out of the cylinder head, picking out the old copper gaskets, then fitting new ones and popping them back in? Shouldn't it be easy? Perhaps there's something I'm overlooking about this exhaust. Doesn't the Nexxus fit well? Or is it extremely heavy and difficult to re-fit?

Thanks in advance
A record of maintenance items carried out on my bike:
https://crimsonxj.wordpress.com/

mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n
Great Britain

Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:21 pm

Not Difficult at all in theory Crimson, the biggest problem will be getting the nuts/studs off the cylinder head without them snapping, if the PO put copper grease on them when he fitted it you should be OK, if not, it could be a pain, use plenty of penetrating fluid and heat :)

Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: London
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600S

Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:47 pm

Excellent! I've just been out with a spanner and tested each of the bolts. They're new bolts, and they're as loose as could be imagined. Wouldn't be comfortable with them any looser... They're all just over wrist-tight, and I would imagine they're all properly greased, as they undo easily after a little 'snap'. Lucky for me that the guy thought ahead. I won't need Plus Gas or a blowtorch. The situation is the same with the silencer mounting bolt. It's elbow tight and shifts with just muscle power. Thanks for your help. I thought perhaps the difficulty he encountered was lining up the downpipes with the cylinder head when installing it. Perhaps he just meant he had difficulty removing the old bolts, and had to use expedient means.
A record of maintenance items carried out on my bike:
https://crimsonxj.wordpress.com/

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects: